What's new

DNS Director - not working for me?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bumpengrinder

Regular Contributor
Hi

I am seeking to have general DNS as something fast & open (e.g. OpenDNS 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220) but my child's clients running something safe (e.g. Cleanbrowsing Family 185.228.168.168, 185.228.169.168).

If I assign either of these DNSs in WAN/WAN DNS Setting/DNS Server they work as expected, i.e. testfiltering.com confirms that Cleanbrowsing Family blocks adults sites, and that OpenDNS does not.

However, DNS Director seems to have no effect at all, i.e. the WAN DNS setting always is in effect for all clients.

I must have it set up incorrectly, but I cannot see where. LAN/DNS Director/Global Redirection can be "No redirection" or "Router" or any other DNS - but it does not override what is set as the WAN DNS for any client that I have added to the Client List.

Is there any other setting that can interfere?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have an Asus RT-AC86 running AsusWRT-Merlin 386.10.

Leave Global Redirection to Router (OpenDNS) and use client MAC address (per client) and Redirection to CleanBrowsing - available in drop down menu.

1679846791331.png

DNS Director works “invisibly” to the LAN clients or any other router settings. The DNS queries are redirected by the firewall, unbeknownst to the clients.

How do you know it isn’t working?

Leave Global Redirection to Router (OpenDNS) and use client MAC address (per client) and Redirection to CleanBrowsing - available in drop down menu.

View attachment 48895
I had tried this combination, it was not working... now it is! Thank for making me try it again! The only thing I can think of is that I rebooted the router between posting the issue and now.

Last edited: