What's new

DNS Filter issues with iOS devices when iCloud private relay is on

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mr.Navigator

New Around Here
Hello all,

I'm experiencing issues specifically on iOS devices with private relay on, as it is bypassing DNS Filter entirely, meaning it's not blocking adult websites. I've tried different filters, even manually assigning the MAC address of a device to use the router settings, but no matter what I do, it's just not behaving as expected. Even manually setting the DNS IPv4 and IPv6 on the device, won't block adult websites. Issue is non-reproducible in windows devices and when private relay is disabled. Has anyone encounter a similar issue or dealing with a similar situation? What is your suggestion or resolution?

1680929816482.png

1680929847780.png

1680929868516.png

They use either DNS-over-TLS or DNS-over-HTTPS, which cannot be redirected by DNS Director because it uses a secure TLS connection to ensure that the DNS request isn't hijacked - which is what DNS Director in effect, hijacking DNS queries.

So you have to chose: Private Relay, or DNS Director. Can't use both.

Hello all,

I'm experiencing issues specifically on iOS devices with private relay on, as it is bypassing DNS Filter entirely, meaning it's not blocking adult websites. I've tried different filters, even manually assigning the MAC address of a device to use the router settings, but no matter what I do, it's just not behaving as expected. Even manually setting the DNS IPv4 and IPv6 on the device, won't block adult websites. Issue is non-reproducible in windows devices and when private relay is disabled. Has anyone encounter a similar issue or dealing with a similar situation? What is your suggestion or resolution?

View attachment 49145

View attachment 49146

View attachment 49147
So far as I know, Apple Private Relay makes its own DNS arrangements independent of the router.
The only way to enforce your own DNS with Private Relay is to include it in a DNS profile, installed on each client.
Profile/s can be found here, maybe elsewhere as well?

Last edited:
Reactions: fsb
I tried adding to dnsmasq.conf.add

#block private relay
address=/mask.icloud.com/
address=/mask-h2.icloud.com/

which should (I think) show mask.icloud.com etc, as non existent hosts

which works from nslookup (on my machine)

500:[~]$ nslookup mask.icloud.com
Server: 2601:646:9e80:bb47::1
Address: 2601:646:9e80:bb47::1#53

** server can't find mask.icloud.com: NXDOMAIN

but when i turn on private relay it still works. I really want to block it completely. anyone figured out how?

I tried adding to dnsmasq.conf.add

#block private relay
address=/mask.icloud.com/
address=/mask-h2.icloud.com/

which should (I think) show mask.icloud.com etc, as non existent hosts

which works from nslookup (on my machine)

500:[~]$ nslookup mask.icloud.com
Server: 2601:646:9e80:bb47::1
Address: 2601:646:9e80:bb47::1#53

** server can't find mask.icloud.com: NXDOMAIN

but when i turn on private relay it still works. I really want to block it completely. anyone figured out how?
Not possible IMHO.
Private relay bypasses dnsmasq totally, so whatever changes you make there will be irrelevant.