What's new

DNS Firmware Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

W3Wilkes

Regular Contributor
On an old modem router that I used when on an xDSL connection There was a custom modified firmware that would "shotgun" DNS requests to all specified DNS servers and then take the first response. It also had the ability to specify more than 2 DNS servers. Do either the ASUS or Merlin take this approach with the allowed 2 DNS servers?

Thanks, but I have issues with some older b/g devices on the 2.4GHz band with Merlin. These devices are just fine on the current ASUS firmware so I can't run Merlin.

And again, thanks. When Merlin comes up to using the current ASUS firmware I'll be going back to Merlin, but until then...

Some Asus firmwares have the ability to do secure DNS called DoT or DNS over TLS. This is good but not what you are asking for.
However, invest in a Raspberry Pi 3, load up Pi-Hole with Unbound and set the Pi-Hole as the DNS server in Asus and it will do just what you asked about.

These Pi devices are just great! I use a Pi with a HiFi Berry DAC as a player running PicorePlayer with my Logitech Media server since Logitech discontinued the squeezebox line of devices.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!