What's new

DNS Location Correction?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rstark18

Occasional Visitor
When I go to certain websites and it auto recognizes my location (zip) it is always wrong. I am thinking this is because I don't use my ISP's DNS server. I use the current fastest server which I test for every once in a while.

Am I right in thinking this is why my zip is always recognized incorrectly or is it something else?

Is there any way to correct for this?

I hope this is the right forum for this question.

how inaccurate is the location? ISPs have a bunch of IPs so whenever websites do a location check it usually gives the ISP's location instead.
DNS server matters for akamai p2p content distribution when it comes to finding the nearest available hosts.

how inaccurate is the location? ISPs have a bunch of IPs so whenever websites do a location check it usually gives the ISP's location instead.
DNS server matters for akamai p2p content distribution when it comes to finding the nearest available hosts.

It's not too far, about 10 miles. But different zip codes which is what I'm trying to correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your IP address is dynamic for your internet than the location points to your ISP's IP section. If you have a static IP that is registered to you than it will show your location instead.

If your IP address is dynamic for your internet than the location points to your ISP's IP section. If you have a static IP that is registered to you than it will show your location instead.

Ok thx. It's dynamic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I go to certain websites and it auto recognizes my location (zip) it is always wrong. I am thinking this is because I don't use my ISP's DNS server. I use the current fastest server which I test for every once in a while.

Am I right in thinking this is why my zip is always recognized incorrectly or is it something else?

I hope this is the right forum for this question.

Interesting point - imagine that one is in a self-driving car, and get's lost - so while in might in physically in San Diego, all telemetry says it's in the middle of Kansas... so it goes 120MPH to undo the problem...

Yikes!

I'd think it more likely that it's doing geo-location from your IP address rather than the DNS server. Plus all the other tracking techniques that Google Ads, et al. employ. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Oops, I basically just repeated what SEM said.

Personally I do my utmost to make sure they don't know my location. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!