What's new

DNS Server Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Khadanja

I'm using cloudfare DNS servers & I also have DoT enabled. From what I understand all my DNS queries should be going through cloudfare servers but every time I lookup my DNS servers online I get two server addresses, one is 198.41.237.11 cloudfare & the other is 202.8.47.94 which isn't cloudfare as far as I can tell. Please correct me if I'm understanding this completely wrong & apologies if I am but why does that 2nd server come up? I used ipleak.net & dnsleaktest.com to check.

Last edited:
Your screenshot is unreadable, but you won’t usually see 1.1.1.1 in a leak test since 1.1.1.1 is an anycast IP. The other IP seems to be from Quad9 (woodynet). Maybe that’s the 4th unreadable entry in your screenshot.

Can DoT be "blocked" by an ISP as seems to be my case?

EDIT: I cannot make it work no matter what I try/change. It worked with my previous ISP.

EDIT: I cannot make it work no matter what I try/change. It worked with my previous ISP.
Sure, since it’s so easily identifiable on port 853. Maybe you’re a candidate for DoH or dnscrypt instead.

Your screenshot is unreadable, but you won’t usually see 1.1.1.1 in a leak test since 1.1.1.1 is an anycast IP. The other IP seems to be from Quad9 (woodynet). Maybe that’s the 4th unreadable entry in your screenshot.
Thanks when I searched the 2nd IP it came up as Citylink NZ so I was confused. Not sure what went wrong with screenshot. Removed it

There are DNS resolvers that support DoT on port 443. You might do some research and try one.

There are DNS resolvers that support DoT on port 443. You might do some research and try one.

Port 443 blocked too. Experimenting with DoH now (on the quest for more privacy).

Thanks for all the input, it is appreciated!

Wave Rural Connect. Looks like it started in AR, but expanded to the northeast as far as ME.

Port 443 blocked too.

If port 443 was really blocked, it means you would be unable to access any web site over HTTPS... Your issue is elsewhere.

If port 443 was really blocked, it means you would be unable to access any web site over HTTPS... Your issue is elsewhere.
HTTPS works, so I'm very interested to figure out where I have gone wrong. Especially since my previous ISP was fine, only the ISP has changed in my setup.