What's new

DNS settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ramz

Regular Contributor
Does anyone here use a DNS setting? Like 1.1.1.1 1.0.0.1 ?? if yes whats the purpose for this and where do I enter it in the router? I have heard people mention using DNS.

Does anyone here use a DNS setting? Like 1.1.1.1 1.0.0.1 ?? if yes whats the purpose for this and where do I enter it in the router? I have heard people mention using DNS.
I use 1.0.0.1 and 8.8.8.8... Web pages load faster and better pings in game... It's way faster and better than your isp dns server they use. You have to set it manually in your router settings.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

My only experience is with the ASUS routers. Your DNS server service basically converts your abc.com URL into its numeric address, 192.168.1.1 as an example. I prefer to not use the DNS servers supplied by my ISP and I did not want to pay either. The two free DNS servers I'm familiar with are Open DNS & GOOGLE. Locate your DNS settings on your router. You'll have a Primary and a Secondary address for IPv4 and usually IPv6 settings. Write down their current settings just in case. I use open dns which is 208.67.222.222 as primary and 208.67.220.220 as secondary. GOOGLE would (I believe there are others) be 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for IPv4 respectively. This is a very simplified explanation with examples. The address noted above
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System
Should be read for a proper understanding of the subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use 1.0.0.1 and 8.8.8.8... Web pages load faster and better pings in game... It's way faster and better than your isp dns server they use. You have to set it manually in your router settings.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Thanks were would i find the DNS settings in my router?

Almost every does here, I would assume (we're geeks). :)

I used to use 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1, but now use 9.9.9.9 and 149.112.112.112 instead. ;)

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/cloud9-dns.56918/page-2#post-495909

For me, the purpose of using a specific DNS like Quad9 is the assurance (as much as we can trust, deduce and research) that our web surfing patterns are not collected and sold to the highest bidder(s). Speed and the lower latency it entails are a bonus, but not the big payback for me it might have once been.

If you don't want your ISP or anyone else to be able to track and record your movements, Quad9 seems to be delivering that today. If it works for your section of the world, seems that it would be the only sane option today.

AC u86 Asus using latest Merlin firmware.

Latest=meaningless. :)

RMerlin 384.11_2 or one of the Alphas?

Btw, you're posting in the wrong forum (I think). :)

Not me ;). I use my ISP's DNS servers because they're much faster than the alternatives. I don't trust Google with anything, least of all my DNS lookups.

A hearty AMEN to that! Anyone foolish enough to use anything GOOGLE, assuming there's an alternative, needs to bone up on GOOGLES nefarious deeds, my opinion!