What's new

DNS that blocks Advertisements + Safe browsing?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

randomName

Very Senior Member
Was using the suggested Ad blocking in the Asus DNS Assignment options in WAN and just changed to Clean Browsing under the Safe option. Is there an option that does both?

Thanks!

and thanks to Merlin for all the support!

As long as you are using the Merlin firmware just add Diversion. By default it uses the same blocklist as Pi-Hole. Then you can use the "safe" DNS service of your choice as well.

This is a really good list I use that has many of the public DNS with info about each one.

Possibly the main Adguard one would get you close?

Was using the suggested Ad blocking in the Asus DNS Assignment options in WAN and just changed to Clean Browsing under the Safe option. Is there an option that does both?

Thanks!

and thanks to Merlin for all the support!

I believe cleanbrowsing, quad9, and adguard (and opendns and others) have lists of servers for different purposes. You don't have to use the predefined ones in the firmware, look at their sites and see if there is one that covers all your purposes.

However for ad blocking I prefer to use ublock on my browser so I can bypass if it breaks something (ad filters almost always do and require exceptions).

What about Quad9 which is a free and public DNS service? It blocks ads, trackers, and malware, and it also offers a safe browsing feature.

Quad9 blocks ads and trackers? Since when?
It doesn't. The list I posted a link to above has info about all of the popular public DNS servers.

Quad9 DNS is a free, recursive, anycast DNS platform that provides high-performance, privacy, and security protection from phishing and spyware. Quad9 servers don't provide a censoring component.

ControlD has free options you could try...

ControlD has free options you could try...

Nice, they actually have a specific Ads + Malware, or you can pick your options below. They have a great offering, going to have to keep that handy as well. Will have to benchmark their malware as my upstream and see how it stacks up against my current selections.

You can even do the OISD - Basic list, which is my main list I use in my AdGuard Home setup after testing out a bunch of different lists.