What's new

dnsmasq Issues [10953]

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zahroc

Occasional Visitor
I recently started having this issue and not sure where to turn since I am unable to find any solutions. I have a RT-AC5300 and using Merlin 386.2_4.
I lose connectivity and when trying to log in to the router, there is no response. When I look at my syslog, the following are occurring:

Time: May 24 05:35:19
IP:
Host: RT-AC5300-8360-D5C0A00-C
Facility: daemon
Priority: err
Tag: dnsmasq-dhcp[10953]
Message: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)

Time: May 24 05:48:19
IP:
Facility: daemon
Priority: err
Tag: dnsmasq[10953]

Suggestions?

Those messages indicate that the router has run out of memory. Rebooting the router will probably clear the error but if it keeps reoccurring you should review what software you are running on the router that could be causing it.

Might be a memory leak in some process.

Can you post the complete original syslog file from the router (not the remote syslog server) up to and including the point where there errors occur.

I have attached it but it does not show the error like the syslog server does. I can attach the syslog server log but it will take some time to redact personal information.

Here is a screen shot from syslog server for the start of the issue:

1621941916044.png

1621941988198.png

Attachments

• syslog-Router.txt
    302 KB · Views: 143
May 23, 12:39:02 is the first watchdog error then it happens again @ 12:46:02 and then every 7 minutes from there on.....

My earliest log entry starts May 23, 12:34:52

Time: May 23 12:39:02
IP:
Facility: kern
Priority: info
Tag: check_watchdog

Time: May 23 12:39:02
IP:
Facility: kern
Priority: info
Tag: rc_service

I have attached it but it does not show the error like the syslog server does. I can attach the syslog server log but it will take some time to redact personal information.
Thanks for that. Although it's missing all the information between to 20th and 24th.

More importantly it's missing most of the normal log entries. If you have changed the default syslog settings I suggest you change them back (Default message log level = notice, Log only messages more urgent than = debug) while trying to debug this problem.

Your Kyocera device with MAC 24:29:FE:07:48:32 keeps bouncing between wireless bands (I don’t know what’s on eth3). Probably not related, but cluttering your logs.

Thanks for that. Although it's missing all the information between to 20th and 24th.

More importantly it's missing most of the normal log entries. If you have changed the default syslog settings I suggest you change them back (Default message log level = notice, Log only messages more urgent than = debug) while trying to debug this problem.

I have changed the log levels as requested. They were set to info for both.

Your Kyocera device with MAC 24:29:FE:07:48:32 keeps bouncing between wireless bands (I don’t know what’s on eth3). Probably not related, but cluttering your logs.
Odd when I scan the network or look in the router, I find no device with that MAC address.

Odd when I scan the network or look in the router, I find no device with that MAC address.
In your syslog file it was last seen disconnecting at 06:53:41. I suggest that now that you have changed the syslog levels you reboot the router. That will force all devices to reconnect and give us a clearer picture of what is happening on your router. The next time 24:29:FE:07:48:32 reconnects you will now be able to see its IP address which might provide a clue.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!