What's new

DNSSEC Settings on ASUS RT-AC87U (Merlin 384.13_10)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RainGater96

Regular Contributor
I am setting up DNSSEC on Merlin RT-AC87U_384.13_10 and please let me know if I missed something or need to tweak something else? TIA.

I chose Google DNS as they seemed to resolve teeny weeny quicker (or maybe not?) than Quad9 or Cloudflare. I thought of going with two services for Preset servers (Google and Quad9) rather than relying on one. Do you recommend that?

WAN DNS Setting:

1630420090627.png

LAN Setting: Nothing for DNS Server 1 and 2

1630420141286.png

I setup NTP to use 216.239.35.4 (google time server).

Last edited:
I am setting up DNSSEC on Merlin RT-AC87U_384.13_10 and please let me know if I missed something or need to tweak something else? TIA.

I chose Google DNS as they seemed to resolve teeny weeny quicker (or maybe not?) than Quad9 or Cloudflare. I thought of going with two services for Preset servers (Google and Quad9) rather than relying on one. Do you recommend that?

WAN DNS Setting:

View attachment 36059

LAN Setting: Nothing for DNS Server 1 and 2

View attachment 36060

I setup NTP to use 216.239.35.4 (google time server).
Recommend flashing the firmware from this fork
It has updated dnsmasq that solve dnssec vulnerability's and more

No one has inputs on my settings?

That is very old firmware. Use better search to find relevant threads.

That is very old firmware. Use better search to find relevant threads.
Well, merlin dropped support on RT87U and whatever I have is the latest and greatest. I have flashed the fork version of Merlin and has some updated packages by @Zulgrib.

I searched and couldn't find anything useful and hence this thread!

No one has inputs on my settings?
From what i can see in your first post DNSSec looks good, But i have Enable DNS Rebind protection = no
I use the LAN / DNSFilter
Enable DNS-based Filtering =ON
Global Filter Mode = Router

From what i can see in your first post DNSSec looks good, But i have Enable DNS Rebind protection = no
I use the LAN / DNSFilter
Enable DNS-based Filtering =ON
Global Filter Mode = Router
Thanks and yes, I enabled DNSFilter as well.

Wow, instead of just saying whether the settings are correct, you have to be snarky and post the search results. I did search it before posting this thread as there are lots of conflicting info on these threads. And, since my firmware is not up-to-date with other routers (Merlin dropped support a year back) and I cannot assume whatever I read on other threads to be applicable for me as well.

FWIW, I am a web developer and know a thing or two of how to search. lol

Okay, trying to help is now called snarky.

The firmware is not current. The information you need is in past posts.

Now that I know you're a web developer, I also know it isn't helping you find information, obviously.

Take the help that's given, or don't. But don't assume the worst of others.

Okay, trying to help is now called snarky.

The firmware is not current. The information you need is in past posts.

Now that I know you're a web developer, I also know it isn't helping you find information, obviously.

Take the help that's given, or don't. But don't assume the worst of others.
Let me give you my honest opinion - you are NOT being helpful one bit. If you have nothing much to contribute here, just stop flooding my thread with useless info as it's wasting my time to respond.

No more response from me for your *snarky* comments! Good bye!

Last edited:
Your opinion, given the facts (look at this whole, almost week-long thread), is not, fact-based.

Your lack of being able to discern helpful advice isn't my shortcoming.

Instead of attacking someone trying to help, ask further questions to clarify what you want to hear instead.