What's new

Do I need a 3.0 or 3.1 modem?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Randomw426

Occasional Visitor
I’m signing up for 300 MB cable Internet and the company tells me that a 3.1 modem is required and instead of renting there’s I want to buy one but, should I buy a 3.0 or 3.1 I can get a 3.0 aaris sb6183 for $50 or 3.1 aaris SB8200 for 150.

Ask your ISP first for a list of compatible devices. Cablemodems tend to be limited to what your ISP actually supports.

They are referring to DOCSIS3.1 i presume. Never seen an ISP that lets you buy that yourself at least not the ISP's that i know.

Some allow around here from a list of approved models, but if DOCSIS 3.1 is required - it has to be DOCSIS 3.1 obviously.

I’m signing up for 300 MB cable Internet and the company tells me that a 3.1 modem is required and instead of renting there’s I want to buy one but, should I buy a 3.0 or 3.1 I can get a 3.0 aaris sb6183 for $50 or 3.1 aaris SB8200 for 150.

3.0 is enough for up to about 350Mbit, but ISPs really want you to use 3.1 now, more efficient on their network. But if you can find a 3.0 one on their approved list and it saves a good amount of money, it should work. However you may have to replace it in a year or two so factor that in. Of course by then it may be time to upgrade to a 4.0 anyway so bridging the gap with a 3.0 for a couple years may make sense. Though if they upgrade your speed to much above what it is now you won't be able to take advantage of it during that time.

You can get a refurb of the 8200 off amazon for $75.

3.0 is enough for up to about 350Mbit, but ISPs really want you to use 3.1 now, more efficient on their network. But if you can find a 3.0 one on their approved list and it saves a good amount of money, it should work. However you may have to replace it in a year or two so factor that in. Of course by then it may be time to upgrade to a 4.0 anyway so bridging the gap with a 3.0 for a couple years may make sense. Though if they upgrade your speed to much above what it is now you won't be able to take advantage of it during that time.

You can get a refurb of the 8200 off amazon for $75.
Ok thanks I’ll probably just go for the refurb

intresting to see how it works in other country where you can just buy any docsis modem
here in Netherlands we only have 1 modem which is capable of (euro)docsis 3.0 / docsis 3.1) which is buyable through customers
fritzbox cable 6690

i myself use my isp modem (vodafoneziggo is the brand company (of which liberty global is a huge shareholder )

modem is the Sagemcom F3896LG
as you can see its in a custom housing made for Liberty Global
this is the same modem as the virgin media hub 5

with a 1000 down en 50 up plan (in may it will change from 50 up to 75 )

my coax setup
meter cupboard

img_20230317_143718-jpg.39394

img_20230317_143722-jpg.39395

I’m signing up for 300 MB cable Internet
With which cable company?

If it's Spectrum, just use the free modem they give you.

If it's not Spectrum: which company is it, and how much is their modem rental fee, if any?

Overhere (Belgium), the cable modem is supplied for free. If it breaks or a newer version is available, you can go to distribution point and trade it in against the latest model.

Overhere (Belgium), the cable modem is supplied for free. If it breaks or a newer version is available, you can go to distribution point and trade it in against the latest model.

For the most part the same here except the free part. Some companies do include it in the fee, especially if you're using something like phone that requires it. But the big ISPs are charging as much as $20 per month for their WIFI 6 gateways now. You can at least go swap it out anytime you want but for $240 a year I tell people just buy their own kit.

Verizon here went from optional router ($20 per month extra) to an "included" router for new customers (I'm still on the old tier using my own router). My service costs $30 per month, new customers are $50 per month. So we see what "included" means - forced.

my internet only would cost around 64 if i dont count the tv part with it
in total i pay for tv and internet around 90 euro's a month sadly no fiber option here or only ADSL so ziggo is the only feasable option with 1000 down and 50 up

my internet only would cost around 64 if i dont count the tv part with it
in total i pay for tv and internet around 90 euro's a month sadly no fiber option here or only ADSL so ziggo is the only feasable option with 1000 down and 50 up

Opposite in the US - internet is pretty cheap, TV is ridiculous. I pay $30 a month for 300/300 internet (could get 1000/1000 for $60) but even a basic TV package is $75 and up, and many people spend $200 to $300 in total. That's why I (and many in the US) have moved to streaming.

You can get it cheaper by doing new customer deals (switch provider every year) but even then, it is still pretty hefty to add TV on.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!