What's new

Do I need a tri band? Need a new Router but torn at choices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

That's a trick question. I didn't.

I do like the AX86U vertical form factor and cooling, it being newer and costing less, its WPA3 support, its 2.5 Gbps port options, its AC68U and AC86 heritage, and that touch of red on black fashion.

And I trust @L&LD 's recommendation.

OE
Ha. Yes, I see the distinction in your earlier post. Maybe “recommend“ was too strong of a word. You did say consider the AX86U. And, yes, after reading @L&LD 's posts and reasoning behind the setup and why he prefers it, it’s hard to disagree.

Thanks for the input. I am learning a lot here!

That's a trick question. I didn't.

I do like the AX86U vertical form factor and cooling, it being newer and costing less, its WPA3 support, its 2.5 Gbps port options, its AC68U and AC86 heritage, and that touch of red on black fashion.

And I trust @L&LD 's recommendation.

OE

in considering @L&LD 's rationale, a good deal has to do with the 2 unit setup. I wonder if considering the AX86 vs. AX88 as single unit deployment, what the comparison points are? Would 5Ghz band (or 2.4 too for that matter) have any practical differences in range, throughput and stability?
Are there differences in how many simultaneous streams (devices) you can have connected on either band? Etc.

in considering @L&LD 's rationale, a good deal has to do with the 2 unit setup. I wonder if considering the AX86 vs. AX88 as single unit deployment, what the comparison points are? Would 5Ghz band (or 2.4 too for that matter) have any practical differences in range, throughput and stability?
Are there differences in how many simultaneous streams (devices) you can have connected on either band? Etc.

Compare the model specs on the Asus website.

A newer model (AX86U) may arguably have better performance for similar functions, subject to regulatory limits on radio power.

More antennas/streams can help but only if on both ends of the radio link. Most clients only have one or two antennas. They both have 4 antennas on the 5.0 radio, so similar where you'd use it most on a 4x4 wireless backhaul.

I have not used either router and I have not recommended one over the other. Both will work. I would buy for AiMesh use, now or in the future.

OE

That’s makes sense. And I’m cert not pushing the boundaries of speed in terms of my internet service plan speed, so it probablyis less of a gap between these two models than someone with gigabit device and having high user counts or speed needs. My needs are minuscule by comparison I’m sure.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!