What's new

Do I really need a UPS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

blakeb

New Around Here
I am looking at the DNS-321 NAS, and it will be used 99% of the time for strictly reading data, so I am not worried about power failure during writes. Will it damage the drives or hardware if the power lost randomly?

If so, would a more minimalistic NAS, or a router that has a USB port be a better option?

1. Possibly. Likelihood depends on frequency of power events and their intensity. Note that "power events" covers more than outages.
2. No.

A $40 UPS is more than capable of providing sufficient coverage (ancillary benefit if you can put your modem and router on it as well), or a $10-$15 surge protector as a minimum against fluctuations.

Power events are not really an issue, as it will be powered through a power conditioner anyways. I am strictly worried about power outages.

Your first concern would be a proper shut down if power is lost, and the unit is being written to. Having a UPS that doesn't communicate with the unit will still result in a dirty shutdown, and likely reduced performance as the unit verifies it's volumes on reboot. So I'd say get the UPS to reduce momentary loss of power, and ideally use a NAS unit that has USB SmartUPS functionality. That way the unit will always power down properly and your data will stay "clean".

Get a NAS that can monitor a UPS via USB. This way during a power outage if the batteries run low the NAS will safely power down.