What's new

Do Netgear AX products sold in the UK allow channel 149?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dimitris Krekoukias

Occasional Visitor
Hello all, as of 2020 OFCOM in the UK allows non-DFS channel 149 and up (the 4 channels starting at 149).

But so far I can’t find which vendors are following the new rules.

Failing that, do netgear routers purchased in the UK allow the region to be set to Asia for example? Several countries there allow 149 and as long as I keep it within 200mw EIRP I would be well within regulations.

I could be wrong but I'm not aware of any router manufacturers which allow 5Ghz channels 149-165 to be used in UK if UK region is set - despite (as you rightly say) OFCOM having legally allowed the use of such channels in recent years. It seems router manufacturers are just being too lazy in making this change. But if using a UK purchased Netgear router, then simply changing the region setting to USA or Australia will give you access to channels 149+ on the 5ghz band.
HTH

I could be wrong but I'm not aware of any router manufacturers which allow 5Ghz channels 149-165 to be used in UK if UK region is set - despite (as you rightly say) OFCOM having legally allowed the use of such channels in recent years. It seems router manufacturers are just being too lazy in making this change. But if using a UK purchased Netgear router, then simply changing the region setting to USA or Australia will give you access to channels 149+ on the 5ghz band.
HTH
Thanks but do the netgear routers bought in the UK allow region changes?

This is not a true business class AP. Differently marketed home RAX10 router. Look somewhere else for business.

This is not a true business class AP. Differently marketed home RAX10 router. Look somewhere else for business.
True but there’s apparently a rule that business gear can change regions. The WAX204 has different firmware so I was wondering if the quasi-business nature of this offers a higher probability of region change.

Last edited:
The only answer is to get one from a place with hardware return options (Amazon?) and test it. If it doesn't work, send it back. People are talking about registrations and subscriptions attached to this product and the reviews are not very good.