What's new

If purchased in the UK, possible to change region?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimitris Krekoukias

Occasional Visitor
Hi all, I know it’s not possible to change the region of US-purchased routers.

If a router is purchased in the UK, does that allow at least some regions to be selected? Or is it locked to Europe?

The UK has a different set of laws as of 2020 and allows non-DFS channels 149 for example.

Correct. Maybe that will change in the future but I wouldn't hold my breath.

It is against the regulations to sell consumer products in the UK/EU that allow the region to be changed.
Xiaomi and others do it, including some European companies, no not sure if that’s a real rule, or something we are told. It could just be some vendors are ignoring this.

Xiaomi and others do it, including some European companies, no not sure if that’s a real rule, or something we are told. It could just be some vendors are ignoring this.
Yes it's a legal requirement. I've also noted that some vendors are not conforming to it. I assume that's because there's a loophole for "non-consumer" products (or they're just illegal).

I have an ASUS RTax86u bought from Amazon Australia that can change to quite a few countries incl. USA, Japan, Korea and more. No setting for Australia.

Hi all, I know it’s not possible to change the region of US-purchased routers.

If a router is purchased in the UK, does that allow at least some regions to be selected? Or is it locked to Europe?

The UK has a different set of laws as of 2020 and allows non-DFS channels 149 for example.
CFE

Interesting, thanks. So ASUS isn’t keeping up with OFCOM regulations.
So no Latin America, no Asia, no African regions.
It has other country
I have an ASUS RTax86u bought from Amazon Australia that can change to quite a few countries incl. USA, Japan, Korea and more. No setting for Australia.
same with me
JPG_392.jpg

i purchased an ax11000 pro from amazon uk to canada, but i cannot see the additional 160mhz channel that this router advertises. it only shows me the DFS channels in the 5ghz-2, I can select a non dfs channel in 5ghz-1, for the 160mhz. is the router region locked or is this is Canada restriction?

A router purchased in UK will have only channels available in Europe and restricted to local Tx power. You can't change the region.

Interesting, thanks. So ASUS isn’t keeping up with OFCOM regulations.
So no Latin America, no Asia, no African regions.

OFCOM regs at the time it went thru certification - similar to what was seen with FCC updates and devices in the field.

and OFCOM only applies to UK these days, post-BREXIT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!