What's new

Does $380 for the QNAP TS-451+ seem like a good deal?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ppilot

Regular Contributor
I think the fan on my trusty Zyxel 325 v1 is bad, so I am thinking about upgrading to bigger more feature rich NAS. Here's what I am thinking right now:

- Move my Plex Media Server from my HTPC to my NAS as I don't want to leave my HTPC on all the time as I get ready to move from WMC (Plex doesn't wake PC's if they are in sleep mode to record).

- Move my Silicon Dust HD DVR to the NAS as well.

I wanted to get a NAS with at least a Braswelll chip, but it looked like I would be paying about 40% more for that luxury.

Thoughts?

Update: I see that the ASUSTOR 3204t is on sale for $359.99 at BHP for a similarly speced machine. Is the QNAP ecosystem and support worth the $20 premium?

Also slightly more information on my needs. The majority of the usage will not require transcoding, as my HTPC will be the biggest user. The second most common usage will be live TV streamed to mobile devices away from home.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!