What's new

Does a MoCA adapter need a splitter if sharing with a cable modem?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Waylo

Occasional Visitor
I'm looking into MoCA options for my home network. My current setup has a coax cable going straight into my cable modem, which is then connected to my router. The TV signal is from a separate outlet in a different room connected to a HDHR Prime.

If I want to use a MoCA adapter with the cable modem coax inlet, will the following setup work:

The coax first goes through the MoCA adapter IN port, then the OUT port routes into the cable modem. The cable modem ethernet port is connected to the router, and an ethernet cable from the router comes back into the MoCA adapter.

Or is a splitter needed before the coax cable hits the MoCA adapter?

The same question applies to the HDHR Prime (basically a cablecard box)... splitter needed upstream, or can the coax go serially through a MoCA adapter?

Last edited:
I'm looking into MoCA options for my home network. My current setup has a coax cable going straight into my cable modem, which is then connected to my router. The TV signal is from a separate outlet in a different room connected to a HDHR Prime.

If I want to use a MoCA adapter with the cable modem coax inlet, will the following setup work:

The coax first goes through the MoCA adapter IN port, then the OUT port routes into the cable modem. The cable modem ethernet port is connected to the router, and an ethernet cable from the router comes back into the MoCA adapter.

Or is a splitter needed before the coax cable hits the MoCA adapter?

The same question applies to the HDHR Prime (basically a cablecard box)... splitter needed upstream, or can the coax go serially through a MoCA adapter?

If the MOCA adapter has both an in and out port then you should not need a splitter as apparently the MOCA adapter has the equivalent of a splitter built in.

Every MOCA adapter I have used has had only a single coaxial connection F fitting and a single Ethernet jack so you need to supply your own splitter in order to connect two or more devices.

Depends on the need - many MOCA adapters have pass-thru - be aware that MOCA has two frequency plans, Cable and Satellite, so if set wrong, may interfere with the cable modem.

The Adapter documentation should have more detail on that.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!