1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Does AC66U-B1 support smart connect?

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by ac66ub1, May 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ac66ub1

ac66ub1 Occasional Visitor

Yesterday, I bought AC66U-B1,hardware B2,made in China 2018.
    1. I just open package and found there's already some "system log record with date in Feb 2018",I doubt, whether a new router has system log?
    2. I update firmware to latest version, I found 'Aimesh' function but AC66U-B1 is not in Asus aimesh support list.what's the problem?
    3. Does AC66U-B1 support smart connect?
    4. As to a new route,how to test it's stability?

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

1. Yes there will be a syslog. When you turn on the router for the first time it will have the built-in default date and time, which is why you're seeing Feb 2018. It will correct the date and time when it connects to the internet. If you turn off the router it will loose the time again because there is no battery backup for the clock.
    2. No problem. The RT-AC66U-B1 is the same as the RT-AC68U.

4. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Senior Member

2. Perhaps not officially supported?

3. No, not yet. There's a 68U AiMesh Phase 2 beta starting around here that suggests the 68U will be getting Smart Connect.

4. Use it.

OE

5. ac66ub1

Does Merlin firmware latest version provide Smart Connect to AC66U-B1?

6. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Senior Member

No... I believe Merlin firmware has not yet joined with ASUS AiMesh-supported firmware.

OE

7. ac66ub1

Is Aimesh same as smart connect??I don't think so.

8. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Senior Member

You can read about ASUS AiMesh on their website.

I believe Roaming Assistant node steering and Smart Connect node band steering are firmware features ASUS has been introducing to their routers piecemeal prior to introducing AiMesh piecemeal. AiMesh requires both features (or better) if it wants to be a WiFi system, imo.

OE

9. Arkaye

Arkaye New Around Here

Smart Connect works great for my AiMesh setup.

I'm using AC3100 as the AiMesh router with an AC68U, AC68R, and AC66UB1 as AiMesh nodes. They all use the same firmware 3.0.0.4.384_20942-ge38bead.
    I have Smart Connect enabled in my AC3100 AiMesh router and it seems the SmartConnect feature was adopted in all AiMesh nodes.
    Our house have around 20 to 40+ devices connecting to both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands just fine.

umarmung likes this.
  10. arthurlien

arthurlien Very Senior Member

Roaming Assistant : it's Node to Node steering
    Smart Connect : it's 2G to 5G or 5G to 2G steering.

RT-AC66U B1 don't support Smart Connect.

11. roguetr

roguetr Occasional Visitor

And in the case of the ac5300 (or any other dual 5G unit I imagine), 5G to 5G.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

12. ac66ub1

Actually,RT-AC66U B1 support Smart Connect.I can use this function in a third party firmware.
    Just stock firmware cut this function.

13. XIII

XIII Very Senior Member

Which third party firmware enables Smart Connect?

14. ac66ub1

koolshare,I don't understand why this firmware has Smart Connect but Merlin has not.

15. XIII

XIII Very Senior Member

Never heard of that and I don’t understand Google’s translation of the Chinese on their website I’m afraid...

16. ac66ub1

I don't understand Chinese but it's easy to try,I just tried and review github repo of this firmware.
    [​IMG]
    As my router installed DD WRT today,I can only find a screenshot from other website for your reference.
    I am not sure whether this firmware has copyright issue but I am really appreciate it. I just don't understand why this firmware has Smart Connect but Merlin has not.

umarmung likes this.
  17. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Senior Member

One can conclude that Merlin chose to not include Smart Connect.

The screen shot above states, "Powered by Merlin & Vortex & Koolshare". They left out ASUS. Being Chinese, it should be no surprise that this firmware is likely a mashup of firmware code/technology by others.

OE

18. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

If Asus doesn't enable it, then neither do I. First reason being Smart Connect requires the closed source components to be compiled for it.

Chances are that this hacked RT-AC68U firmware doesn't properly support it, and they probably never really tested it.

Anyway, Smart Connect makes little sense with dual band devices. It's nothing more than a marketing checkbox at this point, since people would want all their high speed devices on the 5 GHz band, and only old/legacy stuff on the 2.4 GHz band. Just set up two different SSIDs, and connect to the appropriate one.

roguetr and OzarkEdge like this.
  19. Arkaye

Arkaye New Around Here

I turned off Smart Connect because some of my wireless-n only devices are having difficulty connecting to the router and nodes. I separated out 2.4GHz and 5GHz with 2 different SSIDs and everything works better now.

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!