What's new

Does AC66U-B1 support smart connect?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ac66ub1

Occasional Visitor
Yesterday, I bought AC66U-B1,hardware B2,made in China 2018.
  1. I just open package and found there's already some "system log record with date in Feb 2018",I doubt, whether a new router has system log?
  2. I update firmware to latest version, I found 'Aimesh' function but AC66U-B1 is not in Asus aimesh support list.what's the problem?
  3. Does AC66U-B1 support smart connect?
  4. As to a new route,how to test it's stability?

1. Yes there will be a syslog. When you turn on the router for the first time it will have the built-in default date and time, which is why you're seeing Feb 2018. It will correct the date and time when it connects to the internet. If you turn off the router it will loose the time again because there is no battery backup for the clock.
2. No problem. The RT-AC66U-B1 is the same as the RT-AC68U.

Yesterday, I bought AC66U-B1,hardware B2,made in China 2018.
  1. I just open package and found there's already some "system log record with date in Feb 2018",I doubt, whether a new router has system log?
  2. I update firmware to latest version, I found 'Aimesh' function but AC66U-B1 is not in Asus aimesh support list.what's the problem?
  3. Does AC66U-B1 support smart connect?
  4. As to a new route,how to test it's stability?

2. Perhaps not officially supported?

3. No, not yet. There's a 68U AiMesh Phase 2 beta starting around here that suggests the 68U will be getting Smart Connect.

4. Use it.

OE

Does Merlin firmware latest version provide Smart Connect to AC66U-B1?

No... I believe Merlin firmware has not yet joined with ASUS AiMesh-supported firmware.

OE

Is Aimesh same as smart connect??I don't think so.

You can read about ASUS AiMesh on their website.

I believe Roaming Assistant node steering and Smart Connect node band steering are firmware features ASUS has been introducing to their routers piecemeal prior to introducing AiMesh piecemeal. AiMesh requires both features (or better) if it wants to be a WiFi system, imo.

OE

Smart Connect works great for my AiMesh setup.

I'm using AC3100 as the AiMesh router with an AC68U, AC68R, and AC66UB1 as AiMesh nodes. They all use the same firmware 3.0.0.4.384_20942-ge38bead.
I have Smart Connect enabled in my AC3100 AiMesh router and it seems the SmartConnect feature was adopted in all AiMesh nodes.
Our house have around 20 to 40+ devices connecting to both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands just fine.

Roaming Assistant : it's Node to Node steering
Smart Connect : it's 2G to 5G or 5G to 2G steering.

RT-AC66U B1 don't support Smart Connect.

Roaming Assistant : it's Node to Node steering
Smart Connect : it's 2G to 5G or 5G to 2G steering.

RT-AC66U B1 don't support Smart Connect.
Actually,RT-AC66U B1 support Smart Connect.I can use this function in a third party firmware.
Just stock firmware cut this function.

koolshare,I don't understand why this firmware has Smart Connect but Merlin has not.
Never heard of that and I don’t understand Google’s translation of the Chinese on their website I’m afraid...

Never heard of that and I don’t understand Google’s translation of the Chinese on their website I’m afraid...
I don't understand Chinese but it's easy to try,I just tried and review github repo of this firmware.
5b157d4b656cc.png

As my router installed DD WRT today,I can only find a screenshot from other website for your reference.
I am not sure whether this firmware has copyright issue but I am really appreciate it. I just don't understand why this firmware has Smart Connect but Merlin has not.

I am not sure whether this firmware has copyright issue but I am really appreciate it. I just don't understand why this firmware has Smart Connect but Merlin has not.

One can conclude that Merlin chose to not include Smart Connect.

The screen shot above states, "Powered by Merlin & Vortex & Koolshare". They left out ASUS. Being Chinese, it should be no surprise that this firmware is likely a mashup of firmware code/technology by others.

OE

One can conclude that Merlin chose to not include Smart Connect.

If Asus doesn't enable it, then neither do I. First reason being Smart Connect requires the closed source components to be compiled for it.

Chances are that this hacked RT-AC68U firmware doesn't properly support it, and they probably never really tested it.

Anyway, Smart Connect makes little sense with dual band devices. It's nothing more than a marketing checkbox at this point, since people would want all their high speed devices on the 5 GHz band, and only old/legacy stuff on the 2.4 GHz band. Just set up two different SSIDs, and connect to the appropriate one.

Smart Connect works great for my AiMesh setup.

I'm using AC3100 as the AiMesh router with an AC68U, AC68R, and AC66UB1 as AiMesh nodes. They all use the same firmware 3.0.0.4.384_20942-ge38bead.
I have Smart Connect enabled in my AC3100 AiMesh router and it seems the SmartConnect feature was adopted in all AiMesh nodes.
Our house have around 20 to 40+ devices connecting to both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands just fine.
I turned off Smart Connect because some of my wireless-n only devices are having difficulty connecting to the router and nodes. I separated out 2.4GHz and 5GHz with 2 different SSIDs and everything works better now.

Hi, after 2 years of firmware updates, including "AiMesh 2.0" upgrade in November 2020, has Asus enabled Smart Connect in the RT-AC66U-B1 firmware?

Hi, after 2 years of firmware updates, including "AiMesh 2.0" upgrade in November 2020, has Asus enabled Smart Connect in the RT-AC66U-B1 firmware?

No.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!