What's new

Does Asus RT-AC3200 support VLAN and multiple SSID?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If you want to run different SSIDs in different VLANs. This is what I do but not with a ASUS router as I use a layer3 switch and an AP. I assign my guess SSID to a guest VLAN. etc.

I am saying I have not used an ASUS router so I do not know. I use SSIDs and VLANs together as I was responding to habskilla lack of information about this.

So tell me can an ASUS router drop an SSID into a tagged VLAN?

Last edited:
Asuswrt has no manual VLAN configuration. VLAN support is limited to the WAN interface, for ISPs that use VLANs for Internet/IPTV services. Guest networking is strictly limited to having a different SSID, with different WPA key, and an option to isolate clients between themselves so guest clients can only access the Internet.

Sounds like a layer 3 switch would be the perfect companion for an ASUS router. The layer 3 switch could handle all the VLANs and VLAN routing.

Sounds like a layer 3 switch would be the perfect companion for an ASUS router. The layer 3 switch could handle all the VLANs and VLAN routing.

I can confirm that Asus does not suppot VLANs on the LAN. So it is not possible to assign a port or a SSID to a VLAN.
A layer 3 switch is nice, but it won't help if your SSID should have different VLAN IDs.
And personally I find it much trouble if the router does not support VLANs... I have an Asus router and a Layer 3 switch, and although I find the Asus to be a very good consumer rooter with good support from Asus, I'm no too happy by this setup. I plan to have a router and an AP which both would support VLAN tagging. But that's long term plan, no time a the moment.

VLAN support is limited to the WAN interface, for ISPs that use VLANs for Internet/IPTV services.
Might be off topic, but VLAN on the WAN interface is exactly what I need. Do you know how to configure this in asuswrt? Or is other firmware necessary?

Might be off topic, but VLAN on the WAN interface is exactly what I need. Do you know how to configure this in asuswrt? Or is other firmware necessary?

It's under LAN -> IPTV.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!