What's new

Does Asuswrt-Merlin auto reconnect WAN on disconnect or modem reset?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Xruptor

Regular Contributor
I have a question because I've been using ASUSTWRT-Merlin for years now and wondered if some features are now built in.

I have been using a CheckWan or ChkWAN script (https://github.com/MartineauUK/Chk-WAN) to reconnect the WAN when several groups of pings fail for years. I even used an older one before that one for years before that. (https://pastebin.com/tc1RaTSN) The reason this was used was back in the day there was no auto reconnect method for the WAN on Asuswrt-Merlin when an issue was found. So folks used scripts to do ping checks to reset the modem or reset the wan. Therefore, I used the script to reconnect when a WAN issue was found over the years.

Recently though with the last couple of firmwares, I've noticed that ASUSTWRT-Merlin seems to do a loop process to trying to reconnect when the modem is down or the internet is down. So I disabled the CheckWAN script to see if that was causing it. It turned out it wasn't and I was baffled. I even turned off the FlexQOS thinking this was the culprit. But nope, low and behold it looks like the ASUSWRT-Merlin was trying to continuously refresh either the WAN or DHCP constantly. Eventually I would get the message, " WAN_Connection: WAN was restored." When the connection to the WAN was restored. I looked everywhere in my scripts for this and couldn't find it.

It seems to do a complete WAN reset loop each time until it finally reconnects. Including running or resetting the following over and over again.
  1. dnsmasq
  2. miniupnpd
  3. custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/wan-event
  4. ntpd
  5. firewall-start
  6. rc_service
  7. custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event-end

So was this feature added at some point? Was there a script incorporated internally to do a reconnect loop if the WAN is down? If so that is great and I can ditch the CheckWAN script I've used for all these years. I just wanted to make sure it's something or an option that was incorporated in Asuswrt-Merlin after all this time. I would rather use the built in methods then rely on a script that is doing the same job. Please let me know as I'm unsure if this is the case!

That feature is baked in the firmware at least for the last 5 years.

So was this feature added at some point? Was there a script incorporated internally to do a reconnect loop if the WAN is down? If so that is great and I can ditch the CheckWAN script I've used for all these years. I just wanted to make sure it's something or an option that was incorporated in Asuswrt-Merlin after all this time. I would rather use the built in methods then rely on a script that is doing the same job. Please let me know as I'm unsure if this is the case!
This is nothing new. Asus have made many different tweaks over the years to the WAN down process. The most recent being periodic checks that external DNS is working. So there's not one single thing that's changed. You'll have to test for yourself whether it works well enough in your particular situation.

Oh this is great to hear :) That means it has been added ages ago and I just didn't know. Like I said I've been using those scripts for YEARS. So I guess I can stop using it now LOL.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!