What's new

Does DMZ work "almost like" a bridge between two routers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nazgulled

Regular Contributor
I've been reading about this and I believe this could work for me but I just need to be sure, so I'm asking the experts.

Unfortunately, my only choice for high speed Internet connectivity is 4G. For that I'm thinking of getting the Huawei E5172 router, connect my SIM card and done. However, I want to have my Asus router managing all the wired/wireless networking on my house, I just want the Huawei working as modem.

Would setting up DMZ work in this regard? Almost the same as a bridge between two routers where one only works as modem while the other manages everything?

If so, one last thing, which one of those would be the DMZ host? Just be clear 4G Internet -> Huawei (Modem) -> Asus (Router) -> My house devices (wired/wireless).

No, DMZ is not the same as a bridge.
DMZ should pass all traffic for ONE IP. Bridging effectively joins the two networks for all traffic, all hosts.

That said, you would activate DMZ on the internet facing router. Then set a static IP address on the second router's WAN port, then put that IP address in the first router's DMZ.

Yes, I know it's not the same, that's why I put "almost like" under double quotes.

Anyway, would you expect any problems with that setup given my requirements specified on the first post?

Depends on the DMZ implementation. Some have trouble with particular protocols. Only way to know is to try.

Ah man... I think I'm going with a different approach then, a USB modem stick connected directly to the Asus. Don't wanna risk buying equipment that won't fulfill my needs.

I have been doing what you suggest for many years without a problem. Router/modem (Telefonica Zykel) to RT-AC68U.

Hi - I use the same set up almost and it works really well. I am using a Huawei 4G E5186 4G router connected to an Asus RT-AC68U which handles the home wired and wireless network. I have it set up like in post 2 of this thread and it works great. The Asus is set up as the wireless router option not the media bridge.

I run a VPN client on the ASUS so effectively have a fixed IP address and can run a webcam and file server. DDNS could do the same probably but the DNS servers offered by my VPN don't get clogged up like my 4G provider's do.
I read somewhere that I should have the WAN device (Huawei) on a different subnet to the LAN but by doing this I cannot access my Huawei's config page. Any way around this?