What's new

Does guest network cause any speed/performance issues on your main connections?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

willyburz

I'm not noticing any...Just a rando question, as I know in the past certain routers would take a bit of a performance drop. I have the AX86U "LOVE IT", and have a guest network setup on 2.4 for my work pc, and anyone that would come over. I'm guessing it's not an issue anymore with routers, but thought I'd ask.

Last edited:
This has been discussed before. While there is an overhead created by the additional beacon frames used for the guest SSID the performance impact is negligible. You could always just change the beacon interval from 100ms to 200ms to compensate for that anyway.

What is the pro or con to setting 100 vs 200 on new routers? What is your opinion on the AX86U? I have never messed with beacon internals. How would this impact the main 2.4 and 5 connections?

I don't have an opinion on the AX86U as I don't own one. As for the beacon interval, just leave it as it is. There's really no need to change it, as I said, the differences are negligible.

Thanks...Thought I'd ask since just upgraded from my old AC3200...I'm running full gigabit, and connected with a 2.5 gig modem to the 2.5 on the router, and just am not sure on some of the old school adjustments, versus any of the new options to tweak. I'm coming to the conclusion that still separating the ssid's, locking in least interfered channels, and hardlocking 160 mhz now pretty much covers it. :p :cool: Everything is rocking, just a dude always thinking I'm missing something. lol

@L&LD What's your opinion on my beacon setting?! Talk to me goose.

Last edited:
My opinion? I love bacon! With eggs, hash browns, and buttery toast... :D

Seriously though, I would listen to @ColinTaylor and not play with it. This has been experimented with by many, and no one is talking about it anymore. ;)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!