What's new

Does Merlin provides ntp server by default

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mvadu

Regular Contributor
I see this option in Merlin, which both are enabled.

1. Enable local NTP server
2. Intercept NTP client requests

1619806277237.png

I don't remember when I changed it on AC-3100. I haven't done the custom setup given here (Setting up an NTP Server for your local lan · RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng Wiki (github.com)) Recently post 386.2_2 update few of Esp32 projects I have which are talking to gateway (router in this case) for time sync started failing. So my question is there a default NTP server running on my router?

My raspberry Pis's are also failing to sync

Apr 30 13:51:49 raspberrypi4 systemd-timesyncd[321]: Timed out waiting for reply from 206.75.147.25:123 (1.debian.pool.ntp.org).
Apr 30 13:51:59 raspberrypi4 systemd-timesyncd[321]: Timed out waiting for reply from 149.56.121.17:123 (1.debian.pool.ntp.org).
Apr 30 13:52:10 raspberrypi4 systemd-timesyncd[321]: Timed out waiting for reply from 205.206.70.7:123 (2.debian.pool.ntp.org).
Apr 30 13:52:20 raspberrypi4 systemd-timesyncd[321]: Timed out waiting for reply from 216.232.132.102:123 (2.debian.pool.ntp.org).
Apr 30 13:52:30 raspberrypi4 systemd-timesyncd[321]: Timed out waiting for reply from 209.115.181.110:123 (2.debian.pool.ntp.org).
Apr 30 13:52:40 raspberrypi4 systemd-timesyncd[321]: Timed out waiting for reply from 68.69.221.61:123 (2.debian.pool.ntp.org).

PS> I can't even try disable and re-enabling since any changes to that page expects me to change the admin user name each time I click on apply. It complains "This account already exists. Please enter a different name." or "Username cannot be blank.".

Last edited:
Last edited:
PS> I can't even try disable and re-enabling since any changes to that page expects me to change the admin user name each time I click on apply. It complains "This account already exists. Please enter a different name." or "Username cannot be blank.".
Searching the forum there are a few reports (link link) of the same problem that appears to be linked to corrupted Samba/FTP user accounts after the change to encrypted passwords. It can apparently be fixed by doing the following:

Last edited:
Searching the forum there are a few reports (link link) of the same problem that appears to be linked to corrupted Samba/FTP user accounts after the change to encrypted passwords. It can apparently be fixed by doing the following:

Thank you.. I am not sure how, but after fixing the order of users (with the commands you gave in other thread) ntp seems to be working. But I also read this other thread on same issue which is more like mine. My original config came from ac-87 imported to ac-3100. In that thread @L&LD cautioned even if one issue is fixed, it might lead to another I did go for a complete re-do last night. All is well now.

Hi.
I'm a complete zero in IT and networking.

I see this option in Merlin, which both are enabled.

1. Enable local NTP server
2. Intercept NTP client requests

View attachment 33527

I want my NVR (wired to ASUS RT-AC86U Ethernet port - fw version 386.2_4) to sync time with router.

If I just enable the Local NTP Server in the router as indicated above, how can DST time zone change on the last sunday of march and october?
If I chose the 5th sunday, does it assume the 4th sunday when a month only has 4 sundays?

Thank you.

If I chose the 5th sunday, does it assume the 4th sunday when a month only has 4 sundays?
Correct.

Bear in mind those time zone/DST settings are only effecting processes running on the router (e.g. its system log). Any LAN clients (e.g. PCs, your NVR) have to manage their own time zone/DST offsets. NTP servers only supply UTC time, it's down to the client to make adjustments for its locale.

@ColinTaylor, thanks a lot.
So it might be easier to keep "Intercept NTP client requests" disabled, to avoid messing with every other devices at home and just "Enable local NTP server" in router, point the NVR NTP server to the router and manage DST in NVR, right?

@Western I don't think one way is "easier" than the other. It really comes down to each person's use case and what problem you're trying to mitigate or solve.

In my own case I see no additional benefit in syncing my clients to a local NTP server rather than an external one. But some people experience problems reliably connecting to NTP servers on the web so a local server may be beneficial.

Bear in mind that once the clock on the client is set it's not going to suddenly "forget" what the time is just because it can't reach an NTP server (unless it doesn't have a battery backed clock and is rebooted). Sure it might drift a bit but that's usually not mission critical for the average home user.

But yes, the DST settings must be set on the NVR.

in many DIY IOT scenarios (ESP32 with a LiPo in my case) going for external NTP takes additional time compared to getting it from router. As @ColinTaylor said it all boils down to what you are trying to solve. But the "Intercept NTP client requests" does not have any relationship with when DST starts on router. It always responding with a very high resolution time in UTC with respect to year 1900. So it doesn't care what timezone you are in, what your device does to convert it to DST. NTP Server on router will take care of keeping its own clock within 128ms of external reference clock, and passes it to your client if enabled to intercept.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!