What's new

Does security matter on dumb access points?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sittingduck

New Around Here
I have an Asus AC-68U router that is connected to the internet. I keep it updated at all times. But I also have some older routers connected to my router as dumb access points. They're running OpenWrt 19.07.10 which is now outdated. But does that even matter when they are just providing wi-fi to different rooms while my more secure main router is the only thing connected to the outside internet? Thanks.

Following this thread. I have a similar question regarding my WAP571 APs. They have been EOL for quite a bit now but rock solid and with 'enough' performance for the need. That said, have been wondering about how long I should go without replacing them.

As long as nothing on your network exposes them to external forces, use them as long as they work.

Thanks. Any input as to what - if anything - could cause them to be exposed externally while just being used as access points?

If you, and everyone who uses your network, are diligent and keep the network virus/rootkit free, that is the best protection from the inside.

If you open your network to guest users that don't know how to control themselves when on the 'net, there are uncountable ways for bad things to happen with old, EOL, and out-of-date hardware.

If you, and everyone who uses your network, are diligent and keep the network virus/rootkit free, that is the best protection from the inside.

If you open your network to guest users that don't know how to control themselves when on the 'net, there are uncountable ways for bad things to happen with old, EOL, and out-of-date hardware.
So I am trying to decide if this is an issue. I am not worried about my internet habits, but I have teens - intentional or not stuff happens.

I have a similar question regarding my WAP571 APs.

It all depends on how critical your network is. No one can predict future security risks. I have Cisco RV320 router and 4x Cisco WAP351 APs still in use. It's a summer house though - feel free to hack my fridge with Wi-Fi... just don't make the Roomba zombie, please. :)

Yes, with non-fully formed semi-intelligent young adults (i.e. teenagers), this is a potential issue.

It is easier to keep your network as upgraded as possible (for these potential safety concerns) than to try to undo the harm that can potentially happen with EOL/abandoned hardware that is still allowed to connect to the internet (directly, or indirectly).

Your call, but to me, the decision is easy.

They are (collectively) on their own VLAN, separate from IOT and my office. They share a printer on that VLAN as well. Their cell phones and iThings are all on the IOT VLAN. Guests have their own VLAN.

So maybe limited damage potential. Just bugs me I think! 😎

Last edited:
I have an Asus AC-68U router that is connected to the internet. I keep it updated at all times. But I also have some older routers connected to my router as dumb access points. They're running OpenWrt 19.07.10 which is now outdated. But does that even matter when they are just providing wi-fi to different rooms while my more secure main router is the only thing connected to the outside internet? Thanks.
Yes, it does matter severely. That's why there are tons of Zombie Devices like Botnet, sniffing, MITM something everywhere.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!