What's new

Does the XT12 still has issues? XT12 vs GT-AX11000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

francisfaustino

Occasional Visitor
I bought the XT8 last month and it was great for a couple of weeks. I have it in wireless backhaul because wired is not an option for us right now. All of a sudden, the node started dropping out from the main router. I transferred the node to a better location and have it still give full bars to the 5Ghz client and it was great again... for a couple of days. Every so often, the node will start dropping internet connection to the clients even though the wifi is full bars between the node and the clients and the RSSI between the node and the main unit was around -60 which was "Great".

I don't have the desires nor time to troubleshoot the XT8 trying out different settings and firmwares especially since I can't wait too long for the return window to run out. I returned the XT8s and bought 2 GT-AX11000 and set it up the same way with wireless backhaul.

With the GT-AX11000, the connection between the main router and the node is much better than the XT8. Where the XT8 only had "Good" connection (I forgot the RSSI, maybe around -70), the GT-AX11000 now has a "Great" RSSI -60 connection. It has only been a few days though but it has been stable so far. Might be too early to tell but I have till the end of January to return the GT-AX11000s and I intend to test it thoroughly till then.

Now I'm staring to think that I probably should have went with a pair of XT12s instead. I don't know but it might just be a case of "grass is greener on the other side". The price difference is $82 more expensive for the pair of XT12 compared to the pair of GT-AX11000. I don't really mind the spider techy look of the GT-AX11000 and I proudly display the main router in the living room, but I also appreciate the clean look of the XT12. I have found very little user experiences with the XT12 maybe because it is still very new, but among the issues I've read from at least a few users seem to indicate that some XT12 still have similar issues as the XT8 with nodes dropping from the main router or nodes dropping internet connection to the client, so I'm still a bit skeptical coming out from the headaches I got with the XT8.

We live in a ~3,600 sqft double story house and 1 router is actually almost enough to cover the entire house but our house is L-shaped and I just can't get dead spots out with just 1 router. I know both pairs of GT-AX11000 or XT12 are overkill for our house but my main concern is stability over all out speed especially since we only have a relatively slow internet connection from our ISP - 230mbps down / 11mbps up. In my mind, one advantage the GT-AX11000 has over the XT12 is the GT-AX11000 has been out for almost 3 years at this point. So hopefully, it will be as stable as it's ever gonna get.

But what do you think though GT-AX11000 vs XT12?

I bought the XT8 last month and it was great for a couple of weeks. I have it in wireless backhaul because wired is not an option for us right now. All of a sudden, the node started dropping out from the main router. I transferred the node to a better location and have it still give full bars to the 5Ghz client and it was great again... for a couple of days. Every so often, the node will start dropping internet connection to the clients even though the wifi is full bars between the node and the clients and the RSSI between the node and the main unit was around -60 which was "Great".

I don't have the desires nor time to troubleshoot the XT8 trying out different settings and firmwares especially since I can't wait too long for the return window to run out. I returned the XT8s and bought 2 GT-AX11000 and set it up the same way with wireless backhaul.

With the GT-AX11000, the connection between the main router and the node is much better than the XT8. Where the XT8 only had "Good" connection (I forgot the RSSI, maybe around -70), the GT-AX11000 now has a "Great" RSSI -60 connection. It has only been a few days though but it has been stable so far. Might be too early to tell but I have till the end of January to return the GT-AX11000s and I intend to test it thoroughly till then.

Now I'm staring to think that I probably should have went with a pair of XT12s instead. I don't know but it might just be a case of "grass is greener on the other side". The price difference is $82 more expensive for the pair of XT12 compared to the pair of GT-AX11000. I don't really mind the spider techy look of the GT-AX11000 and I proudly display the main router in the living room, but I also appreciate the clean look of the XT12. I have found very little user experiences with the XT12 maybe because it is still very new, but among the issues I've read from at least a few users seem to indicate that some XT12 still have similar issues as the XT8 with nodes dropping from the main router or nodes dropping internet connection to the client, so I'm still a bit skeptical coming out from the headaches I got with the XT8.

We live in a ~3,600 sqft double story house and 1 router is actually almost enough to cover the entire house but our house is L-shaped and I just can't get dead spots out with just 1 router. I know both pairs of GT-AX11000 or XT12 are overkill for our house but my main concern is stability over all out speed especially since we only have a relatively slow internet connection from our ISP - 230mbps down / 11mbps up. In my mind, one advantage the GT-AX11000 has over the XT12 is the GT-AX11000 has been out for almost 3 years at this point. So hopefully, it will be as stable as it's ever gonna get.

But what do you think though GT-AX11000 vs XT12?
I think at a certain point if it works don’t mess with it! But that said, I love the 12’s and have had zero problems.

I've decided to keep the two GT-AX11000 because the pair has been 100% rock solid ever since I've installed it. I have them connected by wireless backhaul. Every time our internet connection goes flaky, I check it and every time, there is a message from our ISP that there is maintenance in our area. The only issue I've had with the system is the Traffic Analyzer broke after I updated to the latest firmware version that was released a few weeks ago. I guess that's ok since it didn't affect the connections but I reverted back to the previous firmware for now and the Traffic Analyzer is working properly again.

20221213_104546.jpg

20221216_235157.jpg

I have the xt12 i was thinking of getting the gt-ax11000. Use the gt-ax11000 as main router and xt12 as the node.
Why are you thinking of getting the GT-AX11000 if you already have another XT12? Is there something you don't particularly like about it?

Previously had the AX11k + 3x XT8s wireless mesh, currrent is AXE16k + 3x XT12s.
AX11k most stable router I've had to date. AXE16k has been solid for 3 months now, XT12s in wireless mesh have been absolutely rock solid. I have 1x XT12 using another XT12 as primary uplink so, I know the WiFi is solid as child node has my logging services on there, if the wifi goes down getting a stream of notifications going nuts. Using stock firmware. Wireless performance wise, XT8s to XT12 - I was not expecting much better but the speed is not comparable, XT12 is giving me 1Gbps wireless performance when XT8s could not break 300Mbps. All nodes in exact same place physically. My only downer is that I really want to use Merlin but the AXE16k is so so solid I really dont want to tinker with it at the moment.
As for AX11k. Excellent routers, no complaints at all, if it fits your needs then excellent choice. XT12s, over priced in my opinion but the wireless aimesh performance means its a keeper for me (I am not sure if this as intentional, Asus changed the normal status light colour from white to a glowly pinkish/orange tint to it, so my daughters are convinced XT12s are pink routers + daughters think I am awesome = thank you Asus).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!