What's new

Does this look right?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

harry555

Occasional Visitor
Code:
Hi, I want to reconfigure my network to increase the VPN traffic (GT-AC5300 is VPN Router) and all Routers can access the others in both directions.

Current config -

Internet
          ^
         |
     Sky Router
    ^          ^
    |          |
    |     Ethernet Cable
    |          ^
    |          |
  Asus       Asus
GT-AC5300  RT-AC87U

The GT-AC5300 is configured as a VPN Router

I'm thinking this will do the job?

Internet
       ^
       |
   Sky Router
       ^
       |
     Asus   
   GT-AC5300 
       ^
       |
  Ethernet Cable
       ^
       |
     Asus   
   RT-AC87U

This should sort the VPN side of things but Router access has me stumped, so with Lan IPs of - 

Sky Router : 192.168.0.1
   GT-AC5300   : 192.168.1.1
   RT-AC87U : 192.168.2.1

how would I login into the RT-AC87U admin console when connected Sky Router WIFI? - do I need Static routes and what would they look like?

any help really apprecitated

In both scenarios the AC87U is shown as connected upstream by "Ethernet Cable". The AC5300 is connected by.... what?

In the new configuration why are you using the AC87U in router mode. Why not configure it as an access point?

thanks and sorry for not being clearer, I haven't made any changes yet so yes, AC87U could be an access point.

All connections are using RJ45 so AC5300 connects to Sky via RJ45, another RJ45 from Sky connects to wall socket which has ethernet cable into another room socket, AC87U connects using RJ45 to that socket. Hopefully that makes sense, sorry if my terminology is not exact

Making the AC87U an access point would simplify things greatly. It would mean that devices connected to the Asus' would be part of the same single network and able to talk to each other rather than being on two separate networks. The only real downside is that you wouldn't be able to create guest WiFi networks on the AC87U that were isolated from the LAN.

Another option would be to use AiMesh and set the AC87U up as a node. I think the new AiMesh 2.0 does allow guest isolation on the nodes.

But to answer your original question, yes the way you are proposing to wire the devices together looks correct.

sorry to bother you again but set it to access point and can connect to WIFI network but no internet

factory reset ac87u
connected wan port to laptop using rj45 - could not get to 192.168.1.1 so connected to WIFI Asus instead which worked
setup wifi/passwords etc... applied and that worked
moved cable from laptop to ethernet socket and changed to access point which worked and router page shows as running in that mode but there's no internet - my does not show it as connected either AC5300

the 5300 is connected to the other end of the ethernet and it that is connect to Sky Lan port from ac5300's WAN port - can't see anything I'm doing wrong, any ideas?

Sorry, I can't follow what your saying.

Plug the AC87U's WAN port into the wall socket (which in turn connects to the AC5300's LAN socket). Connect the laptop to the AC87U's LAN socket by Ethernet.

Use the ASUS Device Discovery utility to find the IP address of the AC87U if you didn't set it manually.

Log into the AC87U using it's IP address, which should be 192.168.1.<something>.

sorry (again), I had to reboot the 5300 and now one of the clients is not showing as the AC87U so (gulp!) it looks like it may be working now, will do some tests

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!