What's new

DoT with OpenVPN Client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

slinkoff

New Around Here
Hi

I want to switch from using my VPN provider's DNS servers to DoT servers provided by CloudFlare. I've got DoT working fine for non-VPN clients but for the clients I'm using VPN policy routing for, if I set "Accept DNS Configuration" to "Disabled", I thought the clients would default to using the DoT servers but they don't. I get DNS probe errors and no internet.

Is there a way to do this?

Hi

I want to switch from using my VPN provider's DNS servers to DoT servers provided by CloudFlare. I've got DoT working fine for non-VPN clients but for the clients I'm using VPN policy routing for, if I set "Accept DNS Configuration" to "Disabled", I thought the clients would default to using the DoT servers but they don't. I get DNS probe errors and no internet.

Is there a way to do this?
I use the setting you describe without issue. There used to be a dns probe button on the Tools -> Other Settings page. But it got removed in Dec 2018. I do have this set on the Tools -> Other Settings Page:

upload_2019-10-26_7-30-56.png

On the WAN Page, there is a setting called Internet Connection. I have fiber to home connection and have it set to PPP Echo. The other settings are Disabled and DNS Probe. So that is a setting to look at.