What's new

Double VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Feels

New Around Here
Is it possible to set double VPN on merlin firmware? I need such construction:
client<==vpn2<=vpn1<==Internet

E.g. vpn2+vpn1 should run on router as chain. I only able to run one VPN connection on router.

Running two VPN clients in series on the same router would be pointless, and probably technically impossible. Maybe you mean something else?

Running two VPN clients in series on the same router would be pointless, and probably technically impossible. Maybe you mean something else?
Ok i will explain in details. Since i cant directly connect to vpn2 provider because vpn traffic blocked to it then i use vpn1(able to connect) as tunnel to vpn2

No you can't do that on the router. The best you could do would be to use the router's VPN client to connect to the vpn1 server. Then configure a VPN client on your PC that connected to vpn2 through the router's VPN.

Sorry, I had to revise some of my prior comments after doing some testing.

It is possible to route OpenVPN client #2 through OpenVPN client #1, provided the latter is NOT using the VPN Director. You can verify it once both OpenVPN clients are connected using a traceroute on the router. The public IP of OpenVPN client #2 is definitely routed through the tunnel of OpenVPN client #1.

This might seem counterintuitive since the public IP of each server is statically bound to the WAN. But the problem is that those static routes only exist within their respective alternate routing tables (ovpnc1 and ovpnc2). So when the "route all" ip rule for OpenVPN client #1 is processed first (ovpnc1), it routes the server IP of OpenVPN client #2 through ovpnc1! In contrast, if both of those tables had both server IPs as static routes bound to the WAN, it would indeed NOT be possible to nest one inside the other. But that's simply NOT the case.

But as I said before, that makes one OpenVPN client dependent on the other. And since you can't be 100% sure which OpenVPN will get started first, this can't be achieved reliably, at least NOT using the GUI and autostart. And even then, if a failure occurs within OpenVPN client #1, thus requiring a restart of both OpenVPN clients, you have the same problem again.

And we're not even considering issues of performance either.

IOW, in theory it should be possible, but there are *many* practical problems. That's why I always recommend only using the VPN Director w/ multiple, concurrent OpenVPN clients. Otherwise you'll likely have issues. If it's going to work at all, and reliably, the whole thing would need to be scripted rather than use the GUI.

P.S. This would probably be better described as Nested VPN rather than Double VPN.

Last edited: