What's new

Download Master update 3.1.0.78 and lag / slowdown issue seems gone

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

roscolo

Regular Contributor
I'm not as technically inclined about routers as most others here. But a known issue with RT-AC66U seems to have been a lag or dramatic internet slowdown when Download Master was enabled.

Asus released an update to Download Master, 3.1.0.78, and I updated yesterday. My "guaranteed" DSL speed I pay for is 3mbps down and 650kbps up and a "normal" ping for me on speedtest.net is 19ms - 27ms. Before the Download Master update using vrsn 3.1.0.75 when running speedtest with Download Master enabled, I would get pings of 135ms - 750ms, download speed of .1mbps - .6mbps, and 70kbps - 200kbps upload speed. The only solution to restore speed was to disable Download Master for those times when users need to browse internet.

After updating to 3.1.0.78 with Download Master enabled and downloading / uploading torrents, at speedtest.net I'm now getting ping of 27ms, download of 2.9 - 3.1 mbps and upload of 400 - 470kbps.

So far it seems any issue with Download Master and lag or slowdown has been resolved with the update. Thank you, Asus.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a problem too upgrading the Download Master to this .78 version. With the latest Merlin standard firmware (26b) upgrading the download master f*cked my Download Master up, because it won't install the new version, it will only delete the old version. I had too manually delete it (directory named Asustek and download2) from the HDD because the firmware each time wants to start over installing the new version, which then hangs.

First time you click Download MAster after installing new firmware the DM version .59 is installed, and this .78 is later also seen as available upgrade but not installed. With the latest beta release of the Merlin version it won't upgrade either, but now it recognises that the Asus server is not answering the call for the data of the new DM.

I'm not using Merlin...I'm using ASUS .354 firmware...Download Master updates to .78 quick and easy and all lag / slowdown problems are completely resolved.

I really like the Download Master feature. Just click on the torrent file link in my web browser on my PC, and it automatically starts downloading on the RT-AC66U via Download Master to my HD attached to the router.

Last edited:
hi merlin
after upgrade DM the messege
Application upgrade fail. It may result from incorrect file or error transmission !!!!!!
i used asus 270

I have now gone back to .270 from Asus, but its the same issue with upgrading to DM 0.78, so its definitely not the Merlin firmware. I guess its an issue with the Asus server taking care of the update.

For Transmission to work I need to format my complete HDD to ext instead of NTFS, because the tutotial for Transmission on the AC66u said it was asking for big trouble and headaches of you try it with FAT32 or NTSF.

After upgrading the DMaster does not work anymore, and the only solution is deleting the Asustec directory and download2 directory, so it can install the standard version of DM first.

I mailed the supportteam of Asus for this issue, maybe they can fix the issue with the upgrade or the server.

Does anyone have a problem too upgrading the Download Master to this .78 version. With the latest Merlin standard firmware (26b) upgrading the download master f*cked my Download Master up, because it won't install the new version, it will only delete the old version. I had too manually delete it (directory named Asustek and download2) from the HDD because the firmware each time wants to start over installing the new version, which then hangs.

I have the same issue :(
I can only use the older version of asus download master.

Is it possible to install asus download master manually (ie download it on the desktop and copy files across?)

Last edited:
I have the same issue :(
I can only use the older version of asus download master.

Is it possible to install asus download master manually (ie download it on the desktop and copy files across?)

What version firmware are you using? It updated fine for me from within the on-screen menu using Asus FW 3.0.0.4.354 Download Master works great now, and I can permanently disconnect aMule.

What version firmware are you using? It updated fine for me from within the on-screen menu using Asus FW 3.0.0.4.354 Download Master works great now, and I can permanently disconnect aMule.

3.0.0.4.270.26 (Merlin build) with a rt-n66u not the ac version.

I may try the beta sometime to see if it upgrades properly. At the moment it gets part way through upgrade (around 15%) then fails so you get left with half the asusware files still remaining. In the firmware menu it says it is uninstalled but clicking install just fails again.
I found i have to manually delete the asusware folder then restart the router to get it to install the older version properly included in the firmware.

Same issues here....
I have tried Asus FW 3.0.0.4.354 and delete all files from previous DM installation.
When I install DM It install v .59 and give an update alert... But I just can not complete upgrade and have .78 installed.

Some advice?

Last edited:
Same issues here....
I have tried Asus FW 3.0.0.4.354 and delete all files from previous DM installation.
When I install DM It install v .59 and give an update alert... But I just can not complete upgrade and have .78 installed.

Some advice?

Don't know what to tell you. All I did was click on the Download Master update and it updated to .78 automatically in about a minute. And after a few weeks of use now I can confirm that any problems with Download Master are completely resolved for me. Works perfect now.

For what it's worth, all I've done since buying the RT-AC66U is run the firmware that came installed, Asus 3.0.0.4.266. Then I upgraded to Asus 3.0.0.4.354. I've never run Merlin or any other firmware. When the Download Master update showed available, I clicked on it and it was done. Maybe you could try the factory reset? I have no idea, but I did not have to.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!