What's new

Download traffic showing as Upload traffic in Bandwidth Monitor

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Smokey613

Very Senior Member
I am running a pair of AC86U in ethernet mesh setup. My Direct TV stream device is showing as upload traffic in the Bandwith Monitor instead of download traffic. All other devices show up correctly. The Direct TV box is connect via ethernet to my main unit. I am running FlexQoS but it exhibited the same behaivor before enabling any QoS.

If I look at the main page in the system status the download/upload bandwidth displays correctly.

Any ideas on why this is happening?

Attachments

• 83846AC2-2AD0-48FD-811B-3277A96BDC6E.jpeg
    83846AC2-2AD0-48FD-811B-3277A96BDC6E.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 84
  • D0B9DDC5-0A5D-4386-90A9-6CFE198D9011.jpeg
    D0B9DDC5-0A5D-4386-90A9-6CFE198D9011.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 84
I am running a pair of AC86U in ethernet mesh setup. My Direct TV stream device is showing as upload traffic in the Bandwith Monitor instead of download traffic. All other devices show up correctly. The Direct TV box is connect via ethernet to my main unit. I am running FlexQoS but it exhibited the same behaivor before enabling any QoS.

If I look at the main page in the system status the download/upload bandwidth displays correctly.

Any ideas on why this is happening?
I have actually run across something very similar from the VPN standpoint on my AC86U... The VPN RX and TX stats are completely reversed, and purposefully have them flipped to show the right stats in their correct place in my vpnmon-r2 interface... I can prove they're doing the right thing, but reversed, when I upload/download a large file. Weirdest thing! Not sure if this is an openvpn bug, or something that @RMerlin might be able to flip on his end? These stats are taken directly from the /tmp/etc/openvpn/client#/status file.

vpnmon-r2-15-main-cpy.jpg

I had completely forgotten I have the Direct TV box routing through my vpn to bypass sports programming geo restrictions. Thank you for your reply, it now makes sense. Not sure what difference it makes unless FlexQoS might not interpret the traffic correctly.

I had completely forgotten I have the Direct TV box routing through my vpn to bypass sports programming geo restrictions. Thank you for your reply, it now makes sense. Not sure what difference it makes unless FlexQoS might not interpret the traffic correctly.
The VPN client should be adding a rule to remark the traffic as download. It only works for br0, but not br1 or br2 from Guest Network 1. What’s the output from:
Code:
iptables -t mangle -nvL POSTROUTING

The VPN client should be adding a rule to remark the traffic as download. It only works for br0, but not br1 or br2 from Guest Network 1. What’s the output from:
Code:
iptables -t mangle -nvL POSTROUTING

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 154K packets, 96M bytes)
pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination

After further testing, anything routed out my vpn client exhibits this behaivor regardless if QoS is enabled or not.

I re-enabled QoS, adaptive mode, no FlexQoS installed.

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 37585 packets, 39M bytes)
pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination
24986 34M MARK all -- * br0 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 mark match 0x40000000/0xc0000000 MARK xset 0x80000000/0xc0000000

I routed my iphone out the vpn tunnel and did a speed test. Both the download and the upload test shows up as upload traffic on the Bandwith Monitor “dials” in the QoS tab.

Here are the screenshots. My iphone is the “MrSaxy” device just below the dials.

Attachments

• 84951303-8343-4E5F-BDBD-17B048CC5BB8.jpeg
    84951303-8343-4E5F-BDBD-17B048CC5BB8.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 6CFD9197-8244-4BC9-B85F-B0F877ABAE7C.jpeg
    6CFD9197-8244-4BC9-B85F-B0F877ABAE7C.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 79
If I hop on my guest wifi, bypassing the vpn tunnel, my iphone shows the expected results.

Attachments

• 091A0555-7A7B-410E-A6DA-350C574687C5.jpeg
    091A0555-7A7B-410E-A6DA-350C574687C5.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 753CB7C3-1F1F-4907-99AA-7CA3D822F661.jpeg
    753CB7C3-1F1F-4907-99AA-7CA3D822F661.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 84
If I hop on my guest wifi, bypassing the vpn tunnel, my iphone shows the expected results.
I'm with ya, @Smokey613... if anyone can explain a reasoning for this, I'm all ears. ;)

I have the same issue but only on the server side. More specifically, two RT-AX86 Pro maintain a site to site VPN using openVPN. Both routers are running latest Merlin (388.2_2). On the client side, the VPN traffic is shown correctly, no issues there.
On the server side, upload traffic is shown as download (and vice versa for the VPN dowload traffic).

I should also mention, that on the VPN's server side, both VPN servers are configured. VPN Server 1 accepts connections from my mobile devices and is configured to also share LAN + Internet connectivity , VPN Server 2 is configured to provide LAN connectivity only and is responsible for the Site to Site connection. Furthermore, remotes clients connecting to VPN 1 are able to access devices residing on the other end of S2S connection.

I have the same issue but only on the server side. More specifically, two RT-AX86 Pro maintain a site to site VPN using openVPN. Both routers are running latest Merlin (388.2_2). On the client side, the VPN traffic is shown correctly, no issues there.
On the server side, upload traffic is shown as download (and vice versa for the VPN dowload traffic).

I should also mention, that on the VPN's server side, both VPN servers are configured. VPN Server 1 accepts connections from my mobile devices and is configured to also share LAN + Internet connectivity , VPN Server 2 is configured to provide LAN connectivity only and is responsible for the Site to Site connection. Furthermore, remotes clients connecting to VPN 1 are able to access devices residing on the other end of S2S connection.
It remains a mystery... I still have these 2 items reversed in VPNMON-R2. I keep thinking one day, on some openvpn or merlin firmware update, they will magically be corrected. ;)

Maybe one diffrence between the routers is their WAN type. On the one with the problem, the WAN type is PPPoE, while the other one with no issues has an automatic IP conf.

Last edited:
Maybe one diffrence between the routers is their WAN type. On the one with the problem, the WAN type is PPPoE, while the other one with no issues has an automatic IP conf.
Well, I'm not using PPPoE... ;) ...and I've got the problem with "automatic".

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!