What's new

Downsides to the Orbi AC2200?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JohnB_123

Regular Contributor
We used to have an AC3000 (Costco RBK53 kit) but moved to Asus for the past 2 years and very happy.

However, reconsidering moving back to Orbi for the parental controls based on limitations with Asus.

I use a wired backhaul so the discrete wifi backhaul doesn't benefit me. What other benefits does the AC3000 (RBR50 series) have? I prefer the smaller size of the AC2200 (RBR20) but don't want to sacrifice performance.

The extra radio doesn't benefit me because of the wired backhaul - is there any other reason to do the RBR50? Are the firmware updates more frequent? Is the native 5GHz wifi faster or the radios more powerful?

Last edited:
We used to have an AC3000 (RBK50) but moved to Asus for the past 2 years and very happy.

However, reconsidering moving back to Orbi for the parental controls based on limitations with Asus.

I use a wired backhaul so the discrete wifi backhaul doesn't benefit me. What other benefits does the AC3000 (RBK50 series) have? I prefer the smaller size of the AC2200 (RBK22) but don't want to sacrifice performance.

The extra radio doesn't benefit me because of the wired backhaul - is there any other reason to do the RBK50? Are the firmware updates more frequent? Is the native 5GHz wifi faster or the radios more powerful?

I have a love-hate relationship with Orbi.
I’ve used both the RBK50 and the RBK22 (which is Costco unit’s I believe) and I agree the I prefer the size of the RBK22’s.
That being said you take a hit on performance with the RBK22 compared to the RBK50 but depending on size of house and ISP speed along with a wired backhaul it may be minimal in your situation. You might check out the Nighthawk Mesh (AX1800) it has no backhaul at all but I think it supports wired backhaul.

As far as updates the RBK50 was a complete disaster at first but got better over time, the RBK22 is solid and has been from the start. I’m now using a Orbi RBK752 AX system for about a week and it’s been a breeze so far. Best Orbi ever and the fastest mesh system I’ve used with no firmware issues at all just works like it should. I’m back to the giant air freshener look but the wife doesn’t care Looks like they have it figured out finally.

RBR/S50 have the LAN ports. I have one satellite by my TV and Satellite receiver for example that I plug into the satellite via cable vs wifi. Considering those devices would eat up a lot of bandwidth and wifi, I figured if I can put the high consumers on the wire that would free up the wifi bandwidth for other devices. (I have my router and satellite connected via cable.) Hence, you do get a built in switch. Some competing mesh products only have one port on that back for example.

I have a love-hate relationship with Orbi.
I’ve used both the RBK50 and the RBK22 (which is Costco unit’s I believe) and I agree the I prefer the size of the RBK22’s.
That being said you take a hit on performance with the RBK22 compared to the RBK50 but depending on size of house and ISP speed along with a wired backhaul it may be minimal in your situation. You might check out the Nighthawk Mesh (AX1800) it has no backhaul at all but I think it supports wired backhaul.

As far as updates the RBK50 was a complete disaster at first but got better over time, the RBK22 is solid and has been from the start. I’m now using a Orbi RBK752 AX system for about a week and it’s been a breeze so far. Best Orbi ever and the fastest mesh system I’ve used with no firmware issues at all just works like it should. I’m back to the giant air freshener look but the wife doesn’t care Looks like they have it figured out finally.

Great feedback. I'm in a unique position in that most of my clients are wired, and the wireless clients are primarily IoT endpoints. The only wireless devices are iPads and iPhones, with occasional the MacBook. I have the AX88U now and honestly don't see much benefit but that's mainly because the AX clients I have are iPhones. Is the RBK50 noticeably faster than the RBK20, even with a wired backhaul?

The RBK50 (AC3000 series) devices seem to get more frequent firmware updates. We have the setup in my work environment mixed with an AC2200 (RBS20) satellite, and I've noticed the RBS50 satellites get updated far more frequently. Guessing because the AC3000 series was out for a longer period of time there are more installed? Also there's the @Voxel firmware which is only on the AC3000 ....?

RBR/S50 have the LAN ports. I have one satellite by my TV and Satellite receiver for example that I plug into the satellite via cable vs wifi. Considering those devices would eat up a lot of bandwidth and wifi, I figured if I can put the high consumers on the wire that would free up the wifi bandwidth for other devices. (I have my router and satellite connected via cable.) Hence, you do get a built in switch. Some competing mesh products only have one port on that back for example.

Great - I have so many wired clients that I use a 16 port gig switch in a media cabinet (that connects to 3 other gigabit desktop switches), so the extra LAN ports wouldn't greatly benefit my situation.

Great feedback. I'm in a unique position in that most of my clients are wired, and the wireless clients are primarily IoT endpoints. The only wireless devices are iPads and iPhones, with occasional the MacBook. I have the AX88U now and honestly don't see much benefit but that's mainly because the AX clients I have are iPhones. Is the RBK50 noticeably faster than the RBK20, even with a wired backhaul?

The RBK50 (AC3000 series) devices seem to get more frequent firmware updates. We have the setup in my work environment mixed with an AC2200 (RBS20) satellite, and I've noticed the RBS50 satellites get updated far more frequently. Guessing because the AC3000 series was out for a longer period of time there are more installed? Also there's the @Voxel firmware which is only on the AC3000 ....?

I think you may be right on the updates, also by the time the RBK22 showed up they had it mostly figured out firmware wise. I’d go with the RBK50 they’re going on sale quite a bit now, better deal than the RBK22 unless you get three 22.

I think you may be right on the updates, also by the time the RBK22 showed up they had it mostly figured out firmware wise. I’d go with the RBK50 they’re going on sale quite a bit now, better deal than the RBK22 unless you get three 22.

Great advice. Also thinking if I did the outdoor node, the dedicated wireless backhaul would be ideal. Seeing single RBR50's on ebay for as low as $70. Satellites are more expensive, which is odd.

tl;dr: did 2x RBR20 (1 as router, 1 as AP) and it works great. bought on ebay for $110 for both devices.

First Phase - AC3000 / RBK50
I started with the RBK50 (1 router, 1 satellite) kit from Best Buy - had the usual Orbi struggles (rebooting unexpectedly, clients sticking to distant node, etc) and tuned it with the great advice from these forums (cut power to 50% and 75% for 2.4 and 5 bands, disabled beamforming and UPnP, letting it "settle down" after making changes, etc).

I will say that Netgear's Armor + Disney Circle (don't gag) have, for now, solved my security needs ensuring our smart teenager doesn't skirt time restrictions after we go to bed. And the clean look of the Orbi allows me to place it in a more ideal location than our previous Asus router making the wife "happy."

Second Phase - AC2200 / RBR20
That said, the RBR50 is rather tall and I was pining for the minimalistic packaging of the RBR20. I also have a 16 port switch and wired backhaul so the extra ports, discrete backhaul radio and wireless backhaul performance of the RBR50 are wasted on me. In addition, the processor and client-facing radios on the entire Orbi AC range are exactly the same. Also in browsing reddit and these forums, lots of consensus that the AP mode on Orbi is much more stable than Router mode.

So, I took a flyer and bought an RBR20 on ebay (brand new, still sealed) for $60. Then I bought another used one for $50. I flashed both to the latest firmware (currently 2.5.1.16), set them up from scratch with minimal settings. I designated the new one as the router and the used one as the AP (wired backhaul), assigning it a DHCP reservation.
  • To my delight, the performance vs. the RBK50 setup is exactly the same - tested signal strength and file transfers before and after.
  • Even better, the upside now is having a second node designated as an AP (same SSID/password) allows the client to decide which wifi node to connect to (rather than the Orbi), and it is much more seamless than before.
  • One room in particular is at the far end of the router range and the Orbi mesh simply refused to transfer the station to the satellite - instead having it connect via 2.4G.
    • That problem is gone - the client stays on 5G, full strength and gracefully hops to the AP.
  • I can also designate discrete channels between the AP and router, which improves performance when there are multiple streams at once on the two wifi nodes.
The only downside to this configuration is there is no obvious way to tell which node the client is connected to - logging into both router and AP, both devices see the connected client as a wifi or wired client irrespective of the attached node. This is different from a similar configuration I've done with Asus, where a wifi client connected to the AP appears as wired to the router and vice versa.

Anyhow, I've returned the RBK50 to Best Buy ($300 + tax!!) and am very happy with my current setup ($110 all in!!). My next step will likely be to add an outdoor node (deciding between attaching an RBS20 satellite to the AP or simply getting another RBR20 and setting it up as an AP, as well) by placing the node in a weatherproof enclosure and mounting it to our house. Fortunate we can wire this one as well - plenty of attic space to run cabling.

"smart teenager"

I had a teenage son whose mission was to get around our home UTM. (I am actually using Untangle.) It was the VPN of the week for him until I would figure out the settings I needed to block that VPN. I could always tell when he figured out that I blocked that VPN. Small moments of joy on my part. He is an adult and moved out now.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
"smart teenager"

I had a teenage son whose mission was to get around our home UTM. (I am actually using Untangle.) It was the VPN of the week for him until I would figure out the what settings I needed to block that VPN. I could always tell when he figured out that I blocked that VPN. Small moments of joy on my part. He is an adult and moved out now.

Good luck :)

Love it.

Thankfully T-Mobile WiFi hotspot runs at 3G. And for now, every VPN he has tried with the combination of Circle + Armor + CleanBrowsing DNS doesn’t work. Guessing he figures a path around/over/under it within a couple of weeks....

<rant on>
I have had to loosen the reigns a bit with kids doing school from home these days. I just wish the teachers would pick a technology. Zoom or Google MeetMe ... Office or Google. One grade teacher does it one way, another grade completely different.
</rant off>

Back to the RBR20. It is a good little unit. It still has dedicated wifi backhaul with the option to use wired. It only has one network port, but if you don't need it, then it doesn't matter. If your ISP is sub gig there is no reason at the end of the day for the RBR50.

With the 2 Orbi units using wired backhaul, I am using all network ports but one between them. Putting the bulk of the streaming devices on the wire has made a huge difference for my home wifi speeds and stability.

Enjoy!

<rant on>
I have had to loosen the reigns a bit with kids doing school from home these days. I just wish the teachers would pick a technology. Zoom or Google MeetMe ... Office or Google. One grade teacher does it one way, another grade completely different.
</rant off>

Back to the RBR20. It is a good little unit. It still has dedicated wifi backhaul with the option to use wired. It only has one network port, but if you don't need it, then it doesn't matter. If your ISP is sub gig there is no reason at the end of the day for the RBR50.

With the 2 Orbi units using wired backhaul, I am using all network ports but one between them. Putting the bulk of the streaming devices on the wire has made a huge difference for my home wifi speeds and stability.

Enjoy!

+++++++

Yes, attic crawl space does wonders for a home network - nearly every stationary device, except IoT devices without a port, are wired for me. That’s TVs, printers, PCs, streaming boxes. I’m left with tablets and phones plus WiFi-only devices (which are mostly low traffic 2.4 clients). So the RBR20 (+AP) is a perfect little solution to solve for coverage, cost, cobtrol and security.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!