What's new

Solved dropbear seems unstable (Voxel firmware)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

delirii

New Around Here
I've just flashed for the first time my RBR50/RBS50.
Oddly dropbear seems to crash. Unable to SSH. I have to telnet, restart the service to be able to connect. If I wait too long (just a few minutes), dropbear is not running anymore.
Am I the only one having this stability issue?

I've just flashed for the first time my RBR50/RBS50.
Oddly dropbear seems to crash. Unable to SSH. I have to telnet, restart the service to be able to connect. If I wait too long (just a few minutes), dropbear is not running anymore.
Am I the only one having this stability issue?
Sorry but I've never faced such an issue... I am using dropbear veru often and it is stable.

Voxel.

Sorry but I've never faced such an issue... I am using dropbear veru often and it is stable.

Voxel.
Do you have any clue how to track why the process stops running suddenly?
I don't see anything in /var/log/messages
I have to restart the process each time using /etc/init.d/dropbear but each time, it doesn't last long.
Hopefully, telnet is still available and easy to (re)activate with your firmware.

Dropbear should start automatically:
Code:
# /etc/init.d/dropbear enabled && echo on
on

Do you have any clue how to track why the process stops running suddenly?
I don't see anything in /var/log/messages
I have to restart the process each time using /etc/init.d/dropbear but each time, it doesn't last long.
Hopefully, telnet is still available and easy to (re)activate with your firmware.

Dropbear should start automatically:
Code:
# /etc/init.d/dropbear enabled && echo on
on
It seems you are the only one experiencing that, or at least reporting it, leading to the hypothesis that it is probably something specific to your configuration or settings.

The init.d services can start automatically, but they don't restart on failure… Only a respawn in the inittab could do that (if it is even supported on this kernel), or using a crontab or a monitoring utility (via entware) to check periodically if the process is running and relaunch it if needed…

That being said, this is not a good idea to do so, because it should not crash to start with, and finding the cause is how to fix it.

Does it crash only when you are connected? Or been if to client is connected through ssh?
Have you tried a factory reset in case some nvram settings are messing it?

Have you tried a factory reset in case some nvram settings are messing it?

I'll start with this one first. Thanks for your advice. I'll post my results here.

I've just noticed my router is not that stable as, looking at the debug page, I've seen it restarted today, at least once (System Uptime 00:20:26).
A fresh new install could not hurt afterall. It just takes some (down)time.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!