What's new

Ds1513+ USB drive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Computerguy

Occasional Visitor
When adding a external (let's say) 3tb drive to my ds1513+ will it be integrated into the raid and used as free space just like adding a hard drive in on the the bays would do? Or will it just show as extra storage?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

It won't be integrated. To show as extra storage for any user other than admin, you may have to share it (each time you connect it physically to the NAS).

They aren't meant to be shared; they're meant to do a backup of your NAS to.

Hi,
Let's see if it is part of Raid drive and USB3 cable dislodged by accident or whatever,
I don't even think about it...... I don't use USB3 port on my box. I just plug the drive
into USB3 port on my Laptop.

I use the USB3 port on mine to connect a drive in an USB3 enclosure that I use as the backup for VIP folders. Drive formatted in Linux format for the sake of speed.
I have a windows 7 utility to read that drive if need be.

Thanks, I had no idea. What the backup program used to do this back up?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Synology's backup within their DSM software. It runs automatically at the daily time I configured.

On PCs, I do drive image backups using Acronis True Image. And on PCs, I use Centered Systems' SecondCopy to do on-going backups to the NAS of selected folders on the PC.

However, my VIP folders are on the NAS--- NOT on the PC. Hard habit to change.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!