What's new

DS410 vs. 410j and building RAID5 volume with existing data

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jcn

Occasional Visitor
Looks like I'm about ready to retire my standalone Linux file server, mostly due to the monthly cost of power racing out of control.

I just managed to get a good deal on Spinpoint 2TB drives, but stupidly, I bought 2 instead of 3 or 4 (what I was thinking, I don't know). I've been looking at the 410 series, but haven't yet made up my mind between the 410 and 410j. Not sure whether the inclusion of eSata in the 410 merits the additional cost (which is pretty steep).

I've also been contemplating buying more of these drives, but I got such a sweet deal that ponying up almost double for one of them to complete an initial RAID5 volume makes me cringe :(

Does the Synology software allow you to take an existing volume on two drives and turn it into a RAID5 volume with the addition of a third drive? Or would I have to relocate the data first and then create the RAID volume?

And, if you had to make the decision, would you pay another 30% to get eSata in the 410?

First of all, the 410j has now been replaced by the 411j, but may not be available in shops yet as Synology have only just announced it
It also seems that here may be a 411 coming soon to replace the 410

From the Datasheets for all the mentioned devices, Synology say that they support Raid migration from:-
Basic to Raid 1
Basic to Raid 5
Basic to Raid 5+spare
Raid 1 to Raid 5
Raid 1 to Raid 5+spare
Raid 5 to Raid 5+spare
Raid 5 to Raid 6

So to answer your question, if you set it up with two drives in either Basic or Raid 1, you will be able to migrate those types of Volumes/Raid to a Raid 5 set up

Would I pay extra for the eSATA connection?
What you have missed here is that the non j models normally have better CPU and RAM specs than the j models, so would deliver faster file transfer rates, so it's not just about the eSATA connection

410 has a 1.06Ghz CPU with floating point and 512MB 64bit DDR533 RAM
410j has a 800Mhz CPU with 128MB 16bit DDR800 RAM
411j has 1.2Ghz CPU with 128MB 16bit DDR800 RAM

The 410's 1.06Ghz CPU is a different design to the 410j and 411j CPU and delivers higher performance

Thanks for the info on the RAID - that simplifies life quite a bit.

I did happen across the information on the new models for 2011 - not released yet it seems (in the US at least), and not sure how long they'll take to hit the market. Might either make for a better performing system or for a bigger discount on the 2010 models. Not sure which I'd opt for, since the drives aren't exactly great performers to begin with, I might not be as CPU bound as I fear.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!