What's new

DS411j slow adding volume to SHR

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OGroteKoning

Regular Contributor
I have a DS411j (currently on DSM 4.2-3202), and I finally decided to set up a RAID SHR. I had the following HDDs in the unit - they were on SHR with no data protection:
Volume 1 - 1.5TB (0.36TB used : 1.01TB available)
Volume 2 - 1.5TB (0.85TB used : 0.52TB available)
Volume 3 - 2.0TB (0.43TB used : 1.37TB available)
Volume 4 - 2.0TB (1.48TB used : 0.31TB available)

I followed this process to get the drives into one volume:
- Volume1 being the base drive to grow the SHR
- Move the data from Volume2 to Volume1
- Remove Volume2
- Add disk used in Volume2 to Volume1 and change type to SHR.
- Move data from Volume3 to Volume4
- Remove Volume3
- Add disk from Volume3 to SHR Volume1.
- Copy data from Volume4 to SHR Volume1
- Remove Volume4
- Add disk from Volume4 to SHR Volume1.

In this last step of adding Volume 4 to the SHR, it is an extremely slow process. It has been 26hrs and it is only 59% complete. It has done 10% over the last 6hrs.

Why is it taking this long?
uploadfromtaptalk1365304147085.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,
Over there when I was perusing older posts, there was a mention of repeated indexing being cause of the problem. I did not come across solution for the problem.

Last edited:
I don't think there is a solution unfortunately. It to almost exactly 7days from start to finish. It is busy doing indexing now - I predict a month for that to complete, but at least I can use the NAS again

I didn't enable indexing in mine. Suspected I didn't need it.

I made sure all the indexing boxes are unticked and then saw that the NAS is actually creating thumbnails. It doesn't look like this can be turned off when you have the media server running

Yes, photo archive thumbnail generation is very slow on all NASes. It runs in the background.

Synology also has a PC windows program that will generate thumbnails on the NAS, using the speed of the PC's CPUs. I used that once.

Yes, photo archive thumbnail generation is very slow on all NASes. It runs in the background.

Synology also has a PC windows program that will generate thumbnails on the NAS, using the speed of the PC's CPUs. I used that once.

That sounds great. Do you have a link please?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!