What's new

DS412+ Performance - Does this look right?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ultragc

Occasional Visitor
Hi All,

Just setup my new TS412+. It it connected to a gigabit switch. Yesterday, I tested copying 68GB from my laptop (connected via network cable to the switch)to the share drive. The copy consist of about 10,000 files (mix of photo and videos). It took about 35 minutes with speed ranging from 25-30mbps.

I later did some more testing but this time using a freeware called "LAN Speed Test (Lite)". Here are the results:

WIRELESS CONNECTION

100MB: Writing = 68Mbps, Reading = 68 Mbps
1GB: Writing = 66Mbps, Reading = 71 Mbps

WIRE CONNECTION

100MB: Writing = 315Mbps, Reading = 290 Mbps
1GB: Writing = 539Mbps, Reading = 289 Mbps

So, based on the above results, does the stats look right :confused:? Let me know if there are other free tools I can use to test this.

Thanks

UPDATE: NAS performance tester 1.4.

Running a 1000MB file write on drive Z: 5 times...
Iteration 1: 71.44 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 69.37 MB/sec
Iteration 3: 72.01 MB/sec
Iteration 4: 72.35 MB/sec
Iteration 5: 69.72 MB/sec
------------------------------
Average (W): 70.98 MB/sec

Running a 1000MB file read on drive Z: 5 times...
Iteration 1: 47.56 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 48.03 MB/sec
Iteration 3: 47.93 MB/sec
Iteration 4: 47.57 MB/sec
Iteration 5: 47.97 MB/sec
Average (R): 47.81 MB/sec

On the tin, the DS412+ says:

With the Link Aggregation enabled, Synology DS412+ delivers an average 182.66 MB/sec writing speed under RAID 5 configuration in a Windows environment, and 205.48 MB/sec reading.

So it looks slow to me, especially since your read is significantly less than your write. I'm no expert, but if you are only running with one ethernet cable instead of 2 (without link aggregation), you should still expect half of the posted speeds: 91 write and 102 read. Your write may be close enough for a "real world" environment (though you would get double that with link aggregation?), but read is too low.

I have a similar question for my DS212, which I posted separately here.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!