What's new

Ds414 keep changing up address setting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

winderic

Occasional Visitor
Ds414 keep changing ip address setting/ Lost configurations

Hi all, last few days I been having this issues. My ds414 keep changing the fixed ip address to hdcp ip address. Changed it back couple of times but few hours later it become hdcp assigned ip address again. What could be the issues? I know my isp been having issues where it keep having internet dropouts, could this be the cause or something else? Thanks.

Last edited:
I agree with kanewolf, skimming the link he provided it seems like an RMA is the 'solution' at this time.

Seems it affects units with DSM 4.3 and up, so it may be a hardware issue.

My first guess would have been if the HDD's are approved for the unit, but with over 200 posts on that thread I would assume that many possible HDD combinations have already been tried and no correlation has been found.

My customers balk at my estimates when I spec 2 or 3 NAS boxes (they've just hit over $10K to $15K in hardware just with this single recommendation), but once I explain to them that the new unit itself can fail - they understand that if all the data is on a single unit, their business shuts down.

The customers that can really only start with one NAS unit I have them setup to simply backup to their NAS from each individual workstation and laptop - but as I tell them; now, you're using them wrong.

Because different individuals still need to exchange data directly with each other, rather than just seeing the latest data on a single server/NAS, company-wide.

today when i woke up, my ds414 show warning beep and when i logged in, it have now show lost configuration and want me to setup as new ds.

After reading kanewolf link, it seems like others also have this issues which related to hardware issues.

i Just hope now i can restore my data, downloading ubuntu now to try to get data from pc.

:mad: no a great day to start with...

Thanks guys for your replies.

Hi all, last few days I been having this issues. My ds414 keep changing the fixed ip address to hdcp ip address. Changed it back couple of times but few hours later it become hdcp assigned ip address again. What could be the issues? I know my isp been having issues where it keep having internet dropouts, could this be the cause or something else? Thanks.

Hi,
Have you fixed the ip address at both ends? With router and NAS box.
My DS713+ never showed that problem with few diffferent routers.
Maybe it happens only with DS414 only?

Hi,
Have you fixed the ip address at both ends? With router and NAS box.
My DS713+ never showed that problem with few diffferent routers.
Maybe it happens only with DS414 only?

Hi Tony, i did fix at both. But according to kanewolf link, this is all part of the symptom of hardware failure. I am reading thru the posts to see what people are doing to fix it, but most of them end up RMA the unit back.

Hi,
Sounds like a known issue then.

This thread is disappointing to me. I was just thinking of upgrading my DS409+ to a DS414. I guess I will monitor the Synology forum before pulling THAT trigger. The DS415play may be the choice even though the transcoding isn't a feature I care about....

This thread is disappointing to me. I was just thinking of upgrading my DS409+ to a DS414. I guess I will monitor the Synology forum before pulling THAT trigger. The DS415play may be the choice even though the transcoding isn't a feature I care about....

The "*play" products likely have costs related to the transcoding support, so if you don't use transcoding, you might want to choose a non-play product.

Hi,
Sounds like a known issue then.

A work-around is to setup a DHCP RESERVATION in your router. This allows you to define a fixed LAN IP address for the NAS, based on the NAS's ethernet MAC address.

You might also verify in the router that the NAS does not use more than one MAC address.

yeah, i was quite disappointing else well. Spend big money on NAS but end up having this kind of issues, was quite worry about what's going to happen after warranty up. Before this NAS, i been using a 5 years old 2 bay NAS from QNAP, no issues at all. Choose Synology for upgrade because of feature and cost.

But hopefully this is only happen only certain batch and if i get RMA for it then hopefully no such issues.

just an update, definitely some hardware issues that keep resetting the settings. I have tried setup the new disk manager on it, couple minutes later it report as lost configuration. Pull out the exiting HDD and put another new HDD on it, install disk manager, couple minutes later same thing happen again.

Contacting seller now for RMA.

Thanks

The "*play" products likely have costs related to the transcoding support, so if you don't use transcoding, you might want to choose a non-play product.

There is a $60 premium for the DS415play version. I am just glad I haven't purchased the DS414 yet.

Just an update.
Got response from synology support that my ds414 is faulty. He says is the reset button broken. But I never use reset button why is it broken.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!