What's new

DS918+ Prime Day

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Clark Griswald

Very Senior Member
Tl;dr
My wife supports this site, since I used her Amazon card to buy our NAS.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-reviews/33172-synology-ds918-diskstation-reviewed.
18 months later, I took advantage of the Prime Day sale and purchased (via the Amazon Affiliate Link :)) a DS918+, 3-WD 10TB Red, 4MB RAM, and 2-500GB Samsung 970 M.2 ssd.
*The lack of 10Gbe currently won't have an effect on my needs. The Prime Day savings on all the components and device negated the negative of the DS918's initial high cost. I had an older and newer model WD Cloud used for backup, but those are children's toys compared to the DS918+. Glad I was able to finally get this NAS, and I agree 100% with the great review from SNB!

*EDIT
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ax89x.57884/
ASUS has begun migration to 10Gbe for the consumer level, so there goes my Christmas bonus.

Last edited:
Do you think of your DS918+ 6 months later? I have been thinking about picked one up. I want to upgrade for my DS213J (want more drive spaces and maybe play around with a Plex media server)

Random question. What are you using your NAS for? How many volumes did you setup? Raid version?

I am happy with every aspect of the 918+. I just installed another 10TB WD Red to fill the last open bay, I will initialize the drive overnight. I use SHR1 and BTRFs. The 918+ moves quickly through the gui and tasks, so I have no complaints.
I have been using the nas for file backups and media server. I don't use plex, but I haven't read anything stating the 918+ has any issues with Plex. I have experienced zero issues streaming movies/music via lan.
The only issue I experienced was due to noob error, so I wiped the nas and started over. I highly recommend the 918+. I would also consider the 1019+ it has an additional drive bay, 8GB ram (instead of 4GB).

Last edited:
an additional drive bay, 8MB ram (instead of 4MB).
GB, not MB :)

Looks somewhat similar to my QNAP ts-563 (although mine is 5 bay). Just upgraded it from 2GB to 16GB and added a 10GBe card.

I added the new drive to the nas, but only began initialization this morning. Physically installing the drives is simple, but the parity check and volume expansion is 14.35% complete after 6 hours. Just an observation.

volume expansion is 14.35% complete after 6 hours
It can take a while. It took a couple of hours, I *think* about 10, when I went from 3x10TB to 5x10TB (added 2x10TB).

This is my 1st proper NAS, and I made quite a few noob mistakes, so I decided to wipe the nas and start fresh (I had proper backups).
SHR1 and Btrfs 27TB of usable space.
Now to restore from backup.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!