What's new

DS920+ Folder Structure (Simple Question)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NAS8TB

Occasional Visitor
Since 2017, I’ve been using two single bay 8TB WD My Cloud (JBOD) at about 80% capacity. One drive as primary media for Plex, the second as a backup drive. When the backup drive recently failed, I decided to take better safeguards for my data with the following:
  • Install a new 4-bay Synology DS920+ NAS
  • Run Plex server on the NAS rather than on my PC.
  • Increase all future drives as 10TB each.
  • Of the four-bay NAS, two drives will be defined as JBOD, two will be defined as RAID 1. I understand there are other RAID options for protecting data and increasing read/write speeds.
QUESTION: I'm new to Synology products. On the DS920+, I have defined all users and permissions, but haven't seen examples of how folders are structured. At this time, I only have one HDD. I’m using Synology FILE STATION to define the folders below (volume 1 only), but I want to confirm the structure before loading 7TB of media from my original 8TB HDD. After installing PLEX, I'll map the folders below from Volume 1. Is this the correct structure? Thanks

Shared Folders / Volume1 / MOVIES
Shared Folders / Volume1 / TV SHOWS
Shared Folders / Volume1 / MUSIC
Shared Folders / Volume1 / PICTURES
Shared Folders / Volume1 / VIDEOS (Home)

Once I buy a second drive, it will look like the following.

Shared Folders / Volume2 / MOVIES
Shared Folders / Volume2 / TV SHOWS
Shared Folders / Volume2 / MUSIC
Shared Folders / Volume2 / PICTURES
Shared Folders / Volume2 / VIDEOS (Home)

Soon afterward, I will buy two more 10TB drives for the last two open bays and set them up as RAID 1.

Shared Folders / Volume3/ MOVIES
Shared Folders / Volume3 / TV SHOWS
Shared Folders / Volume3 / MUSIC
Shared Folders / Volume3 / PICTURES
Shared Folders / Volume3 / VIDEOS (Home)

Shared Folders / Volume4 / MOVIES
Shared Folders / Volume4 / TV SHOWS
Shared Folders / Volume4 / MUSIC
Shared Folders / Volume4 / PICTURES
Shared Folders / Volume4 / VIDEOS (Home)

I have a DS920+ and use it more or less only for Plex. It stores all the media and runs the server, works just fine.

I choose to use Synology's own SHR, started out with one 16Tb drive and are now running 3*16Tb. When it reaches 90% I'll just add another drive. Everything is on the same volume, made a folder called Plex Media and under that one I have about the same structure as you describe above. Can't really see why you are making that folder structure of yours?

I have a DS920+ and use it more or less only for Plex. It stores all the media and runs the server, works just fine.

I choose to use Synology's own SHR, started out with one 16Tb drive and are now running 3*16Tb. When it reaches 90% I'll just add another drive. Everything is on the same volume, made a folder called Plex Media and under that one I have about the same structure as you describe above. Can't really see why you are making that folder structure of yours?
Being new to Synology and RAID, I could have been a bit clearer with my earlier post. The five folder structure (Movies, TV Shows, Home Video, Pictures, Music) above would be identical on each volume. I'm unsure whether RAID creates a different volume or not, but I'll figure that out when my other NAS HDD's arrive. So in the example above, volume 3 and 4 will be mirror copies set up with RAID 1. Volumes 1 and 2 are JBOD's and updated incrementally daily/weekly with a backup utility. I'll define volume 3 or 4 as the "primary" data source with other volumes updating from it.

I just wanted to be sure that the basic structure looks something like "Shared Folders / Volume1 / MOVIES". So essentially, all four drives will contain the same PLEX data. I also decided to purchase 12TB drives moving forward. Family members data is currently being handled on private SSD drives connected to my PC. I may move the family data onto NAS as well once I better understand security and sharing features. My approach to data sharing is to take baby steps and grow from that. Thanks again for your input.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!