What's new

DSL AC68U temperature

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thermoelectric cooling between the CPU and heatsink, thermal paste gluing them together:
fans to blow air across the heatsink would help too.
and where will you get those 55W for this peltier-element as he said in the middle of the video?
And then how to get this additional 55W out of the router?

Thermoelectric cooling between the CPU and heatsink, thermal paste gluing them together:
Very impressive, especially as Peltier-based dehumidifiers are a bit of a flop. What would have been really impressive is if he’d ended by making a cup of tea from the water. But given the choice between a 55W fan, blowing/sucking in dust, and this device, I would certainly opt for the Peltier.

I’m being lazy: have you sourced any?

But given the choice between a 55W fan, blowing/sucking in dust, and this device, I would certainly opt for the Peltier.
I think you didnt understand my concerns.
A router uses about 15W, thats all converted to heat inside housing and has to get out anyway.
If you need additional 55W for peltier element your chip may be cooler and the other side of peltier will melt your housing, and now you have to get 15+55=70W outside the housing!
NOT POSSIBLE!

Last I checked, they were available on eBay and aliexpress. And they’re available in different physical and voltage/wattage sizes. A second DC power supply could power the cooling mechanisms if there’s a concern of overtaxing the factory one for the router itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you didnt understand my concerns.
A router uses about 15W, thats all converted to heat inside housing and has to get out anyway.
If you need additional 55W for peltier element your chip may be cooler and the other side of peltier will melt your housing, and now you have to get 15+55=70W outside the housing!
NOT POSSIBLE!
Aha! I see. Yes. The fan would be outside the casing, so its 55W of heat would not be compromising the cooling of the chip.

Don't even bother I had bout one of these some years ago because I got exited and I thought that I could make a good mod with it.
Well it is still inside the box with various parts, the heat that is emitted from the other side needs a very big heat sink to be exchanged with the environment, and if the heat is not exchanged the entire function stops, the element becomes hot on both sides.
like martinr said (What would have been really impressive is if he’d ended by making a cup of tea from the water.) Yes that could be done, for real.

That is why I never used it to any of my mods and it is still in the box.

Don't even bother I had bout one of these some years ago because I got exited and I thought that I could make a good mod with it.
Well it is still inside the box with various parts, the heat that is emitted from the other side needs a very big heat sink to be exchanged with the environment, and if the heat is not exchanged the entire function stops, the element becomes hot on both sides.
like martinr said (What would have been really impressive is if he’d ended by making a cup of tea from the water.) Yes that could be done, for real.

That is why I never used it to any of my mods and it is still in the box.
Indeed. Now if the casing were redesigned with the heat sink on the outside and the Peltier device pulling the heat through, that would be a different matter. With hot water on tap, even better: make a brew while the router reboots.

I’m surprised at all of the comments still getting posted about that.

Nobody has a 3d printer to make a new case, or back of the existing one to incorporate a fan/ heatsink w/peltier?? What kind of techno maker/hackers are you anyway ? Smh

I’m surprised at all of the comments still getting posted about that.

Nobody has a 3d printer to make a new case, or back of the existing one to incorporate a fan/ heatsink w/peltier?? What kind of techno maker/hackers are you anyway ? Smh

I should have been more clear: a redesign of the casing, to move the heat sink outside, would be at best ludicrous even were it possible. But the only way the Peltier device could help would be if the hot end could be placed outside the boundary of the router.
It’s the equivalent is using a heat pump to cool a room down. If the heat exchanger is (incorrectly) placed inside the room, the room warms due to the energy required to run the compressor. If the heat exchanger is outside the room (outside the house), then the room does indeed cool. This was the point Grisu made.
Nevertheless, I’m not knocking the thought being put into this; quite the contrary. And I was really pleased to discover, and impressed by, those Peltier devices.

Last edited:
It’s the equivalent is using a heat pump to cool a room down. If the heat exchanger is (incorrectly) placed inside the room, the room warms due to the energy required to run the compressor.
If the heat exchanger is outside the room (outside the house), then the room does indeed cool. This was the point Grisu made.
Exactly that!
Like open the door of a refrigerator to get a cooler room, wont work and it will going hotter in the room as the heat on the backside is more than it can cool down from inside and some power for motor will transform to heat as well ...
If that would work you got a perpetuum mobile (perpetual motion machine)!

If that would work you got a perpetuum mobile (perpetual motion machine)!

And a Nobel Prize for disproving the Second Law of Thermodynamics and a place in history that would make Einstein look like a lightweight. But you have to admit, that Peltier device is impressive, even if it can’t make a cup of tea.

Mine is struggling to do anything and suffering a slow and painful torture

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    189.3 KB · Views: 586