What's new

DSL-AX5400 upload speed stuck on 20mbit

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wobaby

New Around Here
G'day All,
I've recently bought a second hand DSL-AX-5400 (Optus branded DSL-AX82U here in Australia)
I did the Web Developer tools trick to allow SSH and then copied over the latest Asus Firmware 3.0.0.4.388_23756 and install it.
Ive setup all my Static Ip's and SSID's and she is actually working very nicely.

The only issue i have is i cannot get any device including the modem itself to upload over 20mb/s
Im on a 100/40 plan here in aus and am actually syncing in the DSL logs as 100/40.

Does anyone know a way (CLI over ssh) to change the speed. Im not sure why Optus removes most of the settings pages. pretty frustrating....
Would Gnuton Merlin give me those pages back?

G'day All,
I've recently bought a second hand DSL-AX-5400 (Optus branded DSL-AX82U here in Australia)
I did the Web Developer tools trick to allow SSH and then copied over the latest Asus Firmware 3.0.0.4.388_23756 and install it.
Ive setup all my Static Ip's and SSID's and she is actually working very nicely.

The only issue i have is i cannot get any device including the modem itself to upload over 20mb/s
Im on a 100/40 plan here in aus and am actually syncing in the DSL logs as 100/40.

Does anyone know a way (CLI over ssh) to change the speed. Im not sure why Optus removes most of the settings pages. pretty frustrating....
Would Gnuton Merlin give me those pages back?

Did it upload faster before you hacked it? If not only your ISP can fix it, you may be provisioned incorrectly. Of course they may require you to restore the router back to normal state.

In this case you may have to ask your service provider the same question. Residential lines are "up to" and not guaranteed.

Cheers for the Prompt reply Drinkingbird...
I had a DSL-AC68U prior to this, no issue with speed. The device isnt from my ISP. My ISP is exetel.
I can easily get 40mb up at my location.... Its locked down in the modem somewhere....

Attachments

• DSL Log.JPG
    DSL Log.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 32
In this case you may have to ask your service provider the same question. Residential lines are "up to" and not guaranteed.
Cheers also for the quick reply Tech9.
No speed issue with previous Asus device. No other changes. Same internet plan, same cable between wall and modem.

Cheers also for the quick reply Tech9.
No speed issue with previous Asus device. No other changes. Same internet plan, same cable between wall and modem.

You can't pick and choose your speed in the modem, the ISP controls that, so perhaps it is not a supported device, or your modifications have made it so it isn't taking the config properly. What speeds was it getting before you modified it? Or maybe it is just a bad modem and that's why it was for sale. Or it still has some lingering Optus config in it that can only be wiped by Optus.

Over here people run into similar issues when they try to use Frontier routers with Verizon. Frontier was split off from Verizon and uses the same technology, but their routers lock themselves down to one network or the other, they will partially work but have various odd issues.

The only limiter would be QOS but if you factory reset it those settings would be gone.

Cheers drinkingbird. Ill factory reset tonight and retry.

If you didn't factory reset after updating the firmware yeah, that definitely should be step 1. Just assumed you had since it was used, and from a different provider, etc.

Cheers drinkingbird. Ill factory reset tonight and retry.
Its a 2nd handy from ebay, did the firmware on it straight away and started setting up my network.... I didnt even notice (the half speed uploads) until my Flux Node was no long passing benchmarks....
Totally screwed myself over for not doing the factory reset straight away.

Factory reset and Quick Wizard setup from scratch has resolved the 20mbit upload issue.
Cheers all , pretty stoked its now on Current asus firmware (even with the kneecapped web interface)

What is this Optus branding? Do they replace the original firmware?

Do they replace the original firmware?
Im not entirely sure, seems like (maybe the nvram) has been tweaked to "hide" sections of the Advanced , Lan and Wan pages........ seems to be hidden by CSS coding.
Bit of a write up here about getting around it for flashing firmware....

I didn't end up using the Merlin firmware, just the Genuine Asus firmware. SSH has been turned off for now. Its all running well (Fingers crossed).

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!