What's new

DSL support

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thegeneralguy

New Around Here
What would it take to get the VDSL modems working in merlin? It seems to have some of the DSL specific makefiles and code still there, but not all of it. There's a source release that has more, and I'd be willing to do some legwork to get it working.

Any idea how to do this?

It takes a lot of work. You need the closed source binary blobs, add the build profile, and if it's not a Broadcom router you have to rewrite all the wireless client list code that I wrote, the Tools page display...

In short: it's not something that can be described in a post. It takes development work.

Well, ASUS has the DSL sources listed for my DSL-AC68U and I've been poking around them. It looks like a common codebase that supports basically everything with an extra DSL step that cat's the DSL firmware on but that's just 10min of looking.

Does ASUS/Broadcom supply the binary firmware blobs? I believe the dsl-ac68u is broadcom powered.

After spelunking more through the makefiles (haven't run these):

export DSL-AC68U := IPV6SUPP=y HTTPS=y ARM=y BCM57=y NTFS="paragon" AUTODICT=y BBEXTRAS=y USBEXTRAS=y EBTABLES=y SAMBA3=y MEDIASRV=y MODEM=y MODEMPIN=y BECEEM=y PARENTAL2=y ACCEL_PPTPD=y PRINTER=y WEBDAV=y CLOUDSYNC=y SWEBDAVCLIENT=y USB="USB" GRO=y APP="installed" BUILD_NAME="DSL-AC68U" PROXYSTA=y DNSMQ=y SHP=y NVRAM_64K=y DSLAC68U=y BCMWL6=y BCMWL6A=y TUNEK="n" BCM5301X=y DISK_MONITOR=y BTN_WIFITOG=y BCM4352_5G=y OPTIMIZE_XBOX=y ODMPID=y BCMSMP=y XHCI=y DSL=y DSL_TCLINUX=y VDSL=y DUALWAN=y USER_LOW_RSSI=y OPENVPN=y TIMEMACHINE=y MDNS=y HFS=y VPNC=y BRCM_NAND_JFFS2=y JFFS2LOG=y BCMFA=y XHCIMODE=y EMAIL=y LINUX_MTD="64" DEBUGFS=y BWDPI=y BTN_WPS_ALLLED=y TCPDUMP=y STAINFO=y SSH=y

the makefiles basically build the firmware for the dsl-ac68u then cat tclinux.bin onto them.

Well, ASUS has the DSL sources listed for my DSL-AC68U and I've been poking around them. It looks like a common codebase that supports basically everything with an extra DSL step that cat's the DSL firmware on but that's just 10min of looking.

Does ASUS/Broadcom supply the binary firmware blobs? I believe the dsl-ac68u is broadcom powered.

All necessary binary blobs should be in their GPL. You will need to to integrate them into my code tree, especially the wireless driver and the new shared/prebuild and rc/prebuild binary blobs.