What's new

Dual Routers ??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thecubbyholeshop

New Around Here
I'm getting ready to upgrade my system to include vpn but I need help. I currently have an ASUS RT3200 router n place and it's been great but I want to add VPN. The problem is that I cannot use vpn to connect to work because it is not allowed. My solution was to leave the AC3200 in place and add a second router for VPN. My question is: Is there a way to eliminate the AC3200 and still run a non-vpn connection from my new vpn router? I'm looking at the
ASUS RT-AX88U PRO with MerlinWRT.

Welcome to the forums @thecubbyholeshop.

Retire and remove from your network the EOL and ancient RT-AC3200 and buy the RT-AX88U Pro.

If work does not allow you to connect, give that idea up if you want to continue working there.

What is the purpose of the VPN? To connect to work from home? Or to connect to home from anywhere?

I'm getting ready to upgrade my system to include vpn but I need help. I currently have an ASUS RT3200 router n place and it's been great but I want to add VPN. The problem is that I cannot use vpn to connect to work because it is not allowed. My solution was to leave the AC3200 in place and add a second router for VPN. My question is: Is there a way to eliminate the AC3200 and still run a non-vpn connection from my new vpn router? I'm looking at the
ASUS RT-AX88U PRO with MerlinWRT.
Yes, you can use VPN Director to specify a source and/or destination IP address to bypass the router's VPN client.

You don't need two routers then. You can do selective routing in both stock Asuswrt (VPN Fusion) and Asuswrt-Merlin (VPN Director) on RT-AX88U Pro. You can do the same on your old RT-AC3200 (Asuswrt-Merlin only), but it's unsupported model for years and missing many security updates. Better replace it with something newer and supported.