What's new

Dual Stack home network pros and cons

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

That wasn't the question. I could post these all day long from other router vendors, OSes..etc that have vulnerabilities due to bugs and bad code.

There will always be bugs - when considering that Asus for example, is pulling code from the chipset vendors (their BSP), their internal developers, GNU open-source projects outside of the BSP, binary objects from third-party vendors, etc...

And it's not just Asus - they're better than most of the consumer-oriented OEMs...

Knowing that one can only hope that the vendor QA teams are on the top of their game - from the chipset to the device OEMs

At any rate, the question is, are you aware of any network that has been penetrated because a customer was using an ASUS router with IPv6 enabled?

What's the way to find out? If you have a network breach, what is telling you if IPv6 was involved? Once you reset an Asus router IPv6 is disabled again. Was the problem solved by resetting the router of by disabling IPv6?

There’s too much FUD being spewed in this thread to take it seriously. If there are firewall deficiencies, point them out. The firewall allows inbound ICMPv6 for RFC reasons.

Adaptive QoS works fine with IPv6.

DNSFilter is less robust for IPv6 since IPv6 NAT is not included in the kernel.

Skynet is IPv4-only.

There’s too much FUD being spewed in this thread to take it seriously.

No much certainty shown so far. Fear of unknown is natural.
Looks like people experimenting with IPv6 for no reason may lose some of Asuswrt-Merlin benefits. Correct?

I’ve had to learn a lot more about IPv6 since I moved to OpenWrt, since it’s not really optional in the firmware. And there is an interesting thread here:

I’ve had to learn a lot more about IPv6 since I moved to OpenWrt, since it’s not really optional in the firmware. And there is an interesting thread here:

Yea I have played around with ipv6 on openwrt. I like how much support there is for it. I like that if you want extra features all you have to do is download the right mods.

Crazy to think skynet doesn't support IPV6. So anyone using skynet for the added benefits may lose out on those benefits with IPV6 enabled?
The IPv6 address space is vast. The same obscurity you enjoy at home with temporary SLAAC addresses can be enjoyed by the bad guys as well. Who could accurately curate a list of IPv6 malware IPs?

Looks like people experimenting with IPv6 for no reason may lose some of Asuswrt-Merlin benefits. Correct?
Merlin users will generally be at an IPv6 disadvantage until Merlin himself has a proper IPv6 environment from his ISP. Seems only themiron has done work on odhcp6c which needs more customization options (e.g. prefix hints).

Now, this is a good piece of information for generally security obsessed SNB community.

Merlin users will generally be at an IPv6 disadvantage until Merlin himself has a proper IPv6 environment from his ISP. Seems only themiron has done work on odhcp6c which needs more customization options (e.g. prefix hints)
For these reasons I don't think Merlin is behind the IPv6 Race. I don't think any one will see any real pressure about IPV6 until it becomes the standard every where. For most users it is still only ran as a secondary option. For those who have to use IPV6 without a choice often are the ones who may consequently experience the most disadvantage.

One major dual stack drawback is often reported without knowing - when someone tests impossible for a router hardware VPN speeds.

By the way @dave14305, do you have IPv6 enabled? Search shows in 2020 you had it disabled due to some uncertainty. ;)

Yes, but I don’t have an Asus router anymore.
What kind of openwrt setup are you running? (I.e. what type of router?) I tried it with an rpi4, but after running it for a while I ran into some mod corruptions probably because the rpi4 support is still relatively new. I have been contemplating using a 86x64 setup with Intel cpu.

Last edited:
What kind of openwrt setup are you running? (I.e. what type of router?) I tried it with an rpi4, but after running it for a while I ran into some mod corruptions probably because the rpi4 support is still relatively new. I have been contemplating using a 86x64 setup with Intel cpu.
Better discussed in the DIY Routers thread.