What's new

Dual Stack home network pros and cons

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I’m trialling IPv6 disabled just now.
I notice no difference at all in speed/utility.
Plus, I get to use Skynet the way it was intended. Interesting……

An interesting ‘happy eyeballs’ test for those on dual stack.

For me, it indicated IPv6 was only being preferred about 30% of the time.
FWIW I ran that test and (unsurprisingly, for me) out of 50 separate tests, it was 90.74% IPv6 and 9.26% IPv4

An interesting ‘happy eyeballs’ test for those on dual stack.

Thanks for the link. I'm 100% IPv6 here. (Ran the test for quite some time too). But do note I'm dual stack too.

Thanks for the link. I'm 100% IPv6 here. (Ran the test for quite some time too). But do note I'm dual stack too.
Same here, running Dual Stack I got 100% IPV6 after about 50 tests.

Block Google/Facebook services and try again. It will be the opposite %.
:D :D I don't use Face 'Ache' Book nor any of Google's 'Steal Your Data' Services (they're both blocked in the various browsers I use (i.e. Safari & FireFox Preferences / Ad Guard / uBlock Origin etc) on all on MacOS and/or iOS devices. That includes all the ones that are present in this forum itself (have a look)

Block Google/Facebook services and try again. It will be the opposite %.
Interesting. Facebook totally blocked here, & Google tracking/ad stuff as well. May explain my results.:)
Im back on dual stack, best I’ve ever seen is 50%, but ‘normal’ about 30%.

FWIW, I’m finding this thread really interesting, all kinds of good knowledge & experience being shared!

Now you know about 50% of your traffic goes around AiProtection, because it's encrypted; 30-50% of your traffic is hard to control with the tools you have available; your devices can call Internet straight without prior notice or your permission. Your network is part of Internet now. Not exactly your network anymore. :)

Now you know about 50% of your traffic goes around AiProtection, because it's encrypted; 30-50% of your traffic is hard to control with the tools you have available; your devices can call Internet straight without prior notice or your permission. Your network is part of Internet now. Not exactly your network anymore. :)
Aiprotect disabled here.
Yup, IPv6 NAT free.

Another thing is ‘happy eyeballs’ appears to be implemented differently depending on browser/OS.
In ‘Apple‘ world (my clients are all Apple), with dual stack, first to answer, IPv4 or IPv6 - gets preference.
Minimal automatic bias to IPv6 apparently, speed of response is everything. I’m happy with that……

Last edited:

100 percent here...

MacOS 12.6 on my M1 Macbook Air...

Screen Shot 2022-09-24 at 7.09.55 PM.png

:D :D I don't use Face 'Ache' Book nor any of Google's 'Steal Your Data' Services (they're both blocked in the various browsers I use (i.e. Safari & FireFox Preferences / Ad Guard / uBlock Origin etc) on all on MacOS and/or iOS devices. That includes all the ones that are present in this forum itself (have a look)

With all due respect - this is out of scope

Privacy concerns with Facebook, Google, etc - good chance for another thread.

Just not here in the current conversation.