What's new

Dual WAN Fail Over still using secondary WAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rtadams89

New Around Here
I'm running 384.10_2 with dual WAN setup in fail-over mode. The backup WAN connection is an Ethernet connected 3G modem. Since setting up the dual wan, I have been seeing a consistent 1.6MB/day usage as reported by the 3G ISP. If I disconnect the Ethernet link from the modem to the router, this usage drops to 0MB/day, which confirms it is traffic coming form the router and not the modem.

Anyone else see this behavior? Any idea what on asuswrt-merlin would be generating this traffic?

The not used WAN is in Cold Standby. If I disconnect in on my DUAL-WAN Setting (remove RJ45), or if I reboot the second modem (cable in my case) the fallback switches to disconnect.
I guess there is still a keep/check-alive for the secondary WAN.

I think that was just a check if the cable is connected, not a check all the way through to the internet. If I configure my 3G modem to not connect to the cell provider, Asuswrt-Merlin still shows as cold standby.

When you configured your dual WAN it asks you a notable question which is; how frequently to ping a server via that connection to see if it is still alive. Each ping will use data. Multiply that out by the frequency of your pings and you would get a small data usage number somewhere around there assuming it is a basic packet ping.

EDIT: If you are not entirely sure how to properly set this up follow this: https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1011719

I initially thought maybe it was pinging over the secondary, fall back route....however, per my previous response, if I disable data on the 3G modem, the router shows no status change on the secondary connection. If it was actually doing pings over the secondary connection, it should show a status change when the data connection is disabled on that secondary connection.