What's new

WANFailover Dual WAN Failover Script

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

v1.5.5-beta8 Release:
Manually upgrade to this beta by running the following command" ***Allow for cronjob to relaunch the script***
Code:
/usr/sbin/curl -s "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Ranger802004/asusmerlin/main/wan-failover_v1.5.5-beta8.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/wan-failover.sh" && chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/wan-failover.sh && sh /jffs/scripts/wan-failover.sh restart

To revert back to Production Release:
Code:
/jffs/scripts/wan-failover.sh update

***Highlight: While in Load Balancing Mode, OpenVPN Split Tunneling can be Disabled defaulting to WAN0 and failover to WAN1 if WAN0 fails***

***Highlight: Email Notifications will be sent for Load Balancing Mode if a WAN failure occurs.***

***WARNING: Kill Mode will now delete cron job, use restart mode to schedule script to restart***

Release Notes:
v1.5.5-beta8
- General optimization of script logic
- If AdGuard is running or AdGuard Local is enabled, Switch WAN function will not update the resolv.conf file. (Collaboration with SomeWhereOverTheRainbow)
- Optimized the way script loads configuration variables.
- Service restarts will dynamically check which services need to be restarted.
- Optimized Boot Delay Timer functionality and changed logging messages to clarify how the Boot Delay Timer effects the script startup.
- WAN Status will now check if a cable is unplugged.
- Resolved issues with Load Balancing Mode introduced in v1.5.4
- Enhancements to Load Balancing Mode
- When in Load Balancing Mode, OpenVPN Split Tunneling can be disabled where remote addresses will default to WAN0 and failover to WAN1 if WAN0 fails and back to WAN0 when it is restored. This can be changed in Configuration file using the Setting: OVPNSPLITTUNNEL (1 = Enabled / 0 = Disabled).
- Corrected issue with Cron Job creation.
- Corrected issues with IP Rules creation for Target IP Addresses.
- When in Load Balance Mode, script will create IPTables Mangle rules for marking packets if they are missing. This is to correct an issue with the firmware.
- Increased email skip default delay to 180 seconds additional to Boot Delay Timer. Adjustable in configuration file using Setting: SKIPEMAILSYSTEMUPTIME (Value is in seconds).
- Script will check for supported ASUS Merlin Firmware Versions
- Script will verify System Binaries are used over Optional Binaries
- Added email functionality for Load Balancing Mode. If a WAN Interface fails, an email notification will be sent if enabled.
- Corrected issue where temporary file for mail would not have correct write permissions to create email for notification.
- Script will now create NAT Rules for services that are enabled.
- Load Balancing Rule Priority, WAN0/WAN1 Route Tables, FW Marks/Masks, IP Rule Priorities, and OpenVPN WAN Priority (Split Tunneling Disabled) are now all customizable using the configuration file. Recommended to leave default unless necessary to change.
- WAN Interface restarts during WAN Status checks will only wait 30 seconds maximum to check status again.
- Corrected issue where Monitor mode would stay running in background, now will exit background process when escaped with Ctrl + C.
- Added a restart mode to reload WAN Failover, use argument "restart". Config, Update, and Restart Mode will wait before cronjob cycle to kill script and allow cron job to reload script.
- Kill Mode will now delete the cron job to prevent WAN Failover from relaunching.

Testing V1.5.5_Beta8 Dual WAN Script in a Dual WAN Failover mode:

1. I have smart electric plugs and other IOT devices connected to Guest Network 2 that I have my ISP #01 plugged into one of them
2. On my app on my IPhone, I shutoff the smart plug to simulate ISP #01 going down
3. When the failover happens, ISP #02 kicks in pretty quickly, and both FlexQOS and YazFi have Cron Jobs running, whereby it appears FlexQOS checks status every 5 minutes, and YazFi checks every 10 minutes for changes in firewall status, and restarts their services

Cron Jobs - 07072022.JPG

4. I don't have access to my IOT devices for that timeframe, until YazFi is restarted. I did run the first command below sooner than 10 minutes to get it up and running faster (not sure if this could be implemented in your script @Ranger802004 or if @Jack Yaz has responded yet of other solutions):

Code:
/jffs/scripts/YazFi runnow

or

/jffs/scripts/YazFi check

5.After my app on my IPhone can talk to the smart plug and IOT devices, I turn the smart plug back on to simulate ISP #01 coming back up. This time the IOT devices reconnected right away, as FlexQOS and YazFi must have run after your changes to the firewall in your script (not sure if this is a change, or just coincedence).

Last edited:
Testing V1.5.5_Beta8 Dual WAN Script in a Dual WAN Failover mode:

1. I have smart electric plugs and other IOT devices connected to Guest Network 2 that I have my ISP #01 plugged into one of them
2. On my app on my IPhone, I shutoff the smart plug to simulate ISP #01 going down
3. When the failover happens, ISP #02 kicks in pretty quickly, and both FlexQOS and YazFi have Cron Jobs running, whereby it appears FlexQOS checks status every 5 minutes, and YazFi checks every 10 minutes for changes in firewall status, and restarts their services

View attachment 42555

4. I don't have access to my IOT devices for that timeframe, until YazFi is restarted. I did run the first command below sooner than 10 minutes to get it up and running faster (not sure if this could be implemented in your script @Ranger802004 or if @Jack Yaz has responded yet of other solutions):

Code:
/jffs/scripts/YazFi runnow

or

/jffs/scripts/YazFi check

5.After my app on my IPhone can talk to the smart plug and IOT devices, I turn the smart plug back on to simulate ISP #01 coming back up. This time the IOT devices reconnected right away, as FlexQOS and YazFi must have run after your changes to the firewall in your script (not sure if this is a change, or just coincedence).
I'm waiting to get with Jack to incorporate some trigger.

v1.5.5-beta8 Release:
Manually upgrade to this beta by running the following command" ***Allow for cronjob to relaunch the script***
Code:
/usr/sbin/curl -s "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Ranger802004/asusmerlin/main/wan-failover_v1.5.5-beta8.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/wan-failover.sh" && chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/wan-failover.sh && sh /jffs/scripts/wan-failover.sh restart

Code:

***Highlight: While in Load Balancing Mode, OpenVPN Split Tunneling can be Disabled defaulting to WAN0 and failover to WAN1 if WAN0 fails***

***Highlight: Email Notifications will be sent for Load Balancing Mode if a WAN failure occurs.***

***WARNING: Kill Mode will now delete cron job, use restart mode to schedule script to restart***

Release Notes:
v1.5.5-beta8
- If AdGuard is running or AdGuard Local is enabled, Switch WAN function will not update the resolv.conf file. (Collaboration with SomeWhereOverTheRainbow)
- Optimized Boot Delay Timer functionality and changed logging messages to clarify how the Boot Delay Timer effects the script startup.
- When in Load Balancing Mode, OpenVPN Split Tunneling can be disabled where remote addresses will default to WAN0 and failover to WAN1 if WAN0 fails and back to WAN0 when it is restored. This can be changed in Configuration file using the Setting: OVPNSPLITTUNNEL (1 = Enabled / 0 = Disabled).
- When in Load Balance Mode, script will create IPTables Mangle rules for marking packets if they are missing. This is to correct an issue with the firmware.
- Increased email skip default delay to 180 seconds additional to Boot Delay Timer. Adjustable in configuration file using Setting: SKIPEMAILSYSTEMUPTIME (Value is in seconds).
- Added email functionality for Load Balancing Mode. If a WAN Interface fails, an email notification will be sent if enabled.
- Corrected issue where temporary file for mail would not have correct write permissions to create email for notification.
- Load Balancing Rule Priority, WAN0/WAN1 Route Tables, FW Marks/Masks, IP Rule Priorities, and OpenVPN WAN Priority (Split Tunneling Disabled) are now all customizable using the configuration file. Recommended to leave default unless necessary to change.
- WAN Interface restarts during WAN Status checks will only wait 30 seconds maximum to check status again.
- Corrected issue where Monitor mode would stay running in background, now will exit background process when escaped with Ctrl + C.
- Added a restart mode to reload WAN Failover, use argument "restart". Config, Update, and Restart Mode will wait before cronjob cycle to kill script and allow cron job to reload script.
- Kill Mode will now delete the cron job to prevent WAN Failover from relaunching.
If you have already installed Beta8 as of this post, please reinstall it (Reuploaded a minor fix).

Run a kill command and check if you have any stuck processes using this command:
Code:
ps | grep -v "grep" | grep wan-failover.sh

If there is a stuck command use the following command to get rid of it using the PID (Process ID Number).
Code:
kill -9 PID

Then run cron mode to let script start again.

Well we just had a brief storm here, and ISP#01 went down, and V1.5.5_Beta8 Dual WAN Script in Dual WAN Failover worked like we have been testing over to ISP#02, and then back to ISP#01.

System Logs show it was only over a 3 minute span, but nobody in the house complained, except for my son playing Call of Duty Vanguard, as it kicked him from the game, but that is expected.

If you have already installed Beta8 as of this post, please reinstall it (Reuploaded a minor fix).

Run a kill command and check if you have any stuck processes using this command:
Code:
ps | grep -v "grep" | grep wan-failover.sh

If there is a stuck command use the following command to get rid of it using the PID (Process ID Number).
Code:
kill -9 PID

Then run cron mode to let script start again.

I have the following from the top command:

Code:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AX88U 386.7_0 Wed Jun 22 18:49:23 UTC 2022
admin@XXAX88U:/tmp/home/root# ps | grep -v "grep" | grep wan-failover.sh
1699 admin     3424 S    /bin/sh -c /jffs/scripts/wan-failover.sh run
1700 admin     3740 S    {wan-failover.sh} /bin/sh /jffs/scripts/wan-failover
19214 admin     3740 S    {wan-failover.sh} /bin/sh /jffs/scripts/wan-failover

Killed all three processes and then ran "cron" mode to start script again.

Last edited:
I have the following from the top command:

Code:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AX88U 386.7_0 Wed Jun 22 18:49:23 UTC 2022
admin@XXAX88U:/tmp/home/root# ps | grep -v "grep" | grep wan-failover.sh
1699 admin     3424 S    /bin/sh -c /jffs/scripts/wan-failover.sh run
1700 admin     3740 S    {wan-failover.sh} /bin/sh /jffs/scripts/wan-failover
19214 admin     3740 S    {wan-failover.sh} /bin/sh /jffs/scripts/wan-failover

Which process should I kill?
Only kill processes if you run the kill command argument and processes won't disappear. You should see 3 running when the script is active.

Well we just had a brief storm here, and ISP#01 went down, and V1.5.5_Beta8 Dual WAN Script in Dual WAN Failover worked like we have been testing over to ISP#02, and then back to ISP#01.

System Logs show it was only over a 3 minute span, but nobody in the house complained, except for my son playing Call of Duty Vanguard, as it kicked him from the game, but that is expected.
Yea in my personal testing with gaming, most games do not handle the failover aspect well and kick you out of the session. Although I've been using Load Balance mode while gaming and it seems to be ok with it.

v1.5.5-beta9 Release: ***Disclaimer: This is a beta release and has been untested***

Code:
/usr/sbin/curl -s "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Ranger802004/asusmerlin/main/wan-failover_v1.5.5-beta9.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/wan-failover.sh" && chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/wan-failover.sh && sh /jffs/scripts/wan-failover.sh restart

Code:

***Highlight: YazFi will be triggered to update if installed and running during Failover.***

***Highlight: Debug Logs can be generated to help diagnose issues. To enable set System Log > Log only messages more urgent than: debug***

Release Notes:
v1.5.5-beta9
- If YazFi is installed and has a scheduled Cron Job, WAN Failover will trigger YazFi to update if installed in default location (/jffs/scripts/YazFi).
- Configured debug logging, to enable debug logging, set System Log > Log only messages more urgent than: debug
- Load Balancer will now work with Guest Networks created.

Last edited:
Tried beta 8 earlier and had problems. Complete loss of connection, and when the connection was up, it seemingly refused to use the primary WAN connection. Didn't have much time to diagnose, will try again tomorrow and upload some logs if the problems remain.

edit: even though the webui reported everything fine with both connections connected.

Last edited:
Tried beta 8 earlier and had problems. Complete loss of connection, and when the connection was up, it seemingly refused to use the primary WAN connection. Didn't have much time to diagnose, will try again tomorrow and upload some logs if the problems remain.

edit: even though the webui reported everything fine with both connections connected.
I experienced the same.

No worries, try beta9 and turn on debug logging and collect the logs so I can diagnose issues going on. Are you using load balance or Failover mode?

Republished beta9 with a few tweaks, remember for debug logging change the setting under System Log here.

1657392672497.png

EDIT @ 2:26PM CST: Found a couple minor issues related to Failover Mode that I just fixed in another reupload, should be good to test now guys!

EDIT @ 4:34PM CST: I tweaked the Restart function quite a bit to provide some excellent data as to what the function is doing, I went ahead and just added this into beta9 upload.

Last edited:

I figured out the issue and resolved it in beta9 release. I’ve found a couple more minor issues with this beta but now with the Failover functionality just some of the supporting functions. Already have them resolved in my development build which will probably come out as a prod release.

Are you using load balance or Failover mode?

Load balance. So I tried enabling dual wan and lost connectivity. Factory reset and formatting the JFFS partition seems to have fixed things. I can enable dual wan without losing connectivity.

But I'm seeing very little throughput through the secondary wan. I upgraded to 386.7 for this script, so I'm not sure what changes that made. Previously I was sitting comfortably on an old beta release, maybe 386.3 or somewhere there. But the load balancing worked as expected on that release, apart from intermittent HTTPS issues, I could saturate both wan connections simultaneously.

Code:
Audionut@RT-AX88U-E188:/tmp/home/root# /usr/sbin/curl -s "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Ranger802004/asusmerlin/main/wan-failover.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/wan-failover.sh" &
& chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/wan-failover.sh && sh /jffs/scripts/wan-failover.sh install
wan-failover.sh - Install mode
Press any key to continue to install...Administration > System > Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs is enabled...
Creating /jffs/configs/wan-failover.conf...
/jffs/configs/wan-failover.conf created.
Setting Custom Variables...
***WAN Target IP Addresses will be routed via WAN Gateway dev WAN Interface***
Configure WAN0 Target IP Address - Will be routed via 100.64.0.1 dev eth0: 8.8.8.8
Configure WAN1 Target IP Address - Will be routed via 203.12.0.1 dev eth1: 9.9.9.9
Configure Ping Count - This is how many consecutive times a ping will fail before a WAN connection is considered disconnected: 10
Configure Ping Timeout - Value is in seconds: 10
Configure Boot Delay Timer - This is how long the script will delay execution after bootup ***Value is in seconds***: 30
Configure WAN Disabled Timer - This is how long the script will sleep if Dual WAN/Failover Mode/WAN Links are disabled before checking status again, value is in seconds: 10
Configure WAN0 QoS Download Bandwidth - Value is in Mbps: 250
Configure WAN1 QoS Download Bandwidth - Value is in Mbps: 75
Configure WAN0 QoS Upload Bandwidth - Value is in Mbps: 30
Configure WAN1 QoS Upload Bandwidth - Value is in Mbps: 10
***QoS WAN Packet Overhead Reference Guide - None: 0, Conservative Default: 48, VLAN: 42, DOCSIS: 18, PPPoE VDSL: 27, ADSL PPPoE VC: 32, ADSL PPPoE LLC: 40, VDSL Bridged: 19, VDSL2 PPPoE: 30, VDSL2 Bridged: 22***
Configure WAN0 QoS Packet Overhead: 48
Configure WAN1 QoS Packet Overhead: 48
***QoS ATM Reference Guide - Recommended is Disabled unless using ISDN***
Enable WAN0 QoS ATM? ***Enter Y for Yes or N for No*** n
Enable WAN1 QoS ATM? ***Enter Y for Yes or N for No*** n
Enable Packet Loss Logging? ***Enter Y for Yes or N for No*** n
Adding Custom Settings to /jffs/configs/wan-failover.conf...
Custom Variables added to /jffs/configs/wan-failover.conf.
Creating Wan-Event script...
Wan-Event script has been created.
Adding wan-failover.sh to Wan-Event...
wan-failover.sh added to Wan-Event.
crontab: can't open 'Audionut': No such file or directory
Creating cron jobs...
Completed creating cron job.
Audionut@RT-AX88U-E188:/tmp/home/root# /usr/sbin/curl -s "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Ranger802004/asusmerlin/main/wan-failover_v1.5.5-beta9.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/wan-f
ailover.sh" && chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/wan-failover.sh && sh /jffs/scripts/wan-failover.sh restart
wan-failover.sh: Restart - Restarting wan-failover.sh ***This can take up to approximately 1 minute***
wan-failover.sh: Restart - Killing wan-failover.sh Process ID: 5496
wan-failover.sh: Restart - Killed wan-failover.sh Process ID: 5496
wan-failover.sh: Restart - Killing wan-failover.sh Process ID: 5497
wan-failover.sh: Restart - Killed wan-failover.sh Process ID: 5497
wan-failover.sh: Restart - Killing wan-failover.sh Process ID: 6094
wan-failover.sh: Restart - Killed wan-failover.sh Process ID: 6094
wan-failover.sh: Restart - Successfully Restarted wan-failover.sh Process ID:  6468 6469

edit: To many charactors in the log, put it on pastebin: https://pastebin.com/5kWaxx1F

Load balance. So I tried enabling dual wan and lost connectivity. Factory reset and formatting the JFFS partition seems to have fixed things. I can enable dual wan without losing connectivity.

But I'm seeing very little throughput through the secondary wan. I upgraded to 386.7 for this script, so I'm not sure what changes that made. Previously I was sitting comfortably on an old beta release, maybe 386.3 or somewhere there. But the load balancing worked as expected on that release, apart from intermittent HTTPS issues, I could saturate both wan connections simultaneously.

Code:
Audionut@RT-AX88U-E188:/tmp/home/root# /usr/sbin/curl -s "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Ranger802004/asusmerlin/main/wan-failover.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/wan-failover.sh" &
& chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/wan-failover.sh && sh /jffs/scripts/wan-failover.sh install
wan-failover.sh - Install mode
Press any key to continue to install...Administration > System > Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs is enabled...
Creating /jffs/configs/wan-failover.conf...
/jffs/configs/wan-failover.conf created.
Setting Custom Variables...
***WAN Target IP Addresses will be routed via WAN Gateway dev WAN Interface***
Configure WAN0 Target IP Address - Will be routed via 100.64.0.1 dev eth0: 8.8.8.8
Configure WAN1 Target IP Address - Will be routed via 203.12.0.1 dev eth1: 9.9.9.9
Configure Ping Count - This is how many consecutive times a ping will fail before a WAN connection is considered disconnected: 10
Configure Ping Timeout - Value is in seconds: 10
Configure Boot Delay Timer - This is how long the script will delay execution after bootup ***Value is in seconds***: 30
Configure WAN Disabled Timer - This is how long the script will sleep if Dual WAN/Failover Mode/WAN Links are disabled before checking status again, value is in seconds: 10
Configure WAN0 QoS Download Bandwidth - Value is in Mbps: 250
Configure WAN1 QoS Download Bandwidth - Value is in Mbps: 75
Configure WAN0 QoS Upload Bandwidth - Value is in Mbps: 30
Configure WAN1 QoS Upload Bandwidth - Value is in Mbps: 10
***QoS WAN Packet Overhead Reference Guide - None: 0, Conservative Default: 48, VLAN: 42, DOCSIS: 18, PPPoE VDSL: 27, ADSL PPPoE VC: 32, ADSL PPPoE LLC: 40, VDSL Bridged: 19, VDSL2 PPPoE: 30, VDSL2 Bridged: 22***
Configure WAN0 QoS Packet Overhead: 48
Configure WAN1 QoS Packet Overhead: 48
***QoS ATM Reference Guide - Recommended is Disabled unless using ISDN***
Enable WAN0 QoS ATM? ***Enter Y for Yes or N for No*** n
Enable WAN1 QoS ATM? ***Enter Y for Yes or N for No*** n
Enable Packet Loss Logging? ***Enter Y for Yes or N for No*** n
Adding Custom Settings to /jffs/configs/wan-failover.conf...
Custom Variables added to /jffs/configs/wan-failover.conf.
Creating Wan-Event script...
Wan-Event script has been created.
Adding wan-failover.sh to Wan-Event...
wan-failover.sh added to Wan-Event.
crontab: can't open 'Audionut': No such file or directory
Creating cron jobs...
Completed creating cron job.
Audionut@RT-AX88U-E188:/tmp/home/root# /usr/sbin/curl -s "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Ranger802004/asusmerlin/main/wan-failover_v1.5.5-beta9.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/wan-f
ailover.sh" && chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/wan-failover.sh && sh /jffs/scripts/wan-failover.sh restart
wan-failover.sh: Restart - Restarting wan-failover.sh ***This can take up to approximately 1 minute***
wan-failover.sh: Restart - Killing wan-failover.sh Process ID: 5496
wan-failover.sh: Restart - Killed wan-failover.sh Process ID: 5496
wan-failover.sh: Restart - Killing wan-failover.sh Process ID: 5497
wan-failover.sh: Restart - Killed wan-failover.sh Process ID: 5497
wan-failover.sh: Restart - Killing wan-failover.sh Process ID: 6094
wan-failover.sh: Restart - Killed wan-failover.sh Process ID: 6094
wan-failover.sh: Restart - Successfully Restarted wan-failover.sh Process ID:  6468 6469

edit: To many charactors in the log, put it on pastebin: https://pastebin.com/5kWaxx1F
What is your LB Ratio set to? Put your System Log into debug collection so we can capture debug logging. As far as throughput, all the QoS does is set the manual values if you have QoS enabled with manual settings.

3:1 which should be right on the money. No QoS here. As far as I understand, it's not bandwidth balancing, so 50+ connections should saturate the secondary wan, even if the primary was not being saturated (depending on the speed of each connection).

Was just about to edit my previous post again, everything looks to be running fine now. I'm seeing good throughput on both connections simultaneously. Cheers.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!