What's new

Dual WAN Failover ***v2 Release***

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

if I want to view the status in realtime updates, do I open the monitor?
Hello...try running the beta script and see if this helps. You will need to enable dev mode and run an update of the script.

Hello...try running the beta script and see if this helps. You will need to enable dev mode and run an update of the script.
ok I guess I need to look for how to do this haha

ok I guess I need to look for how to do this haha
Access the Configuration Menu and Enable the following option
Code:
Configure Dev Mode

Once enabled check for updates and it should offer you to download the latest beta.

Access the Configuration Menu and Enable the following option
Code:
Configure Dev Mode

Once enabled check for updates and it should offer you to download the latest beta.
the cron job for failover is running now, is the beta very different than the current version I'm using? I'm just scared that it will not be stable when a failover should happen 😆

v2.0.1 has been published as an official release on Production and Beta Channel.

v2.0.1 Release Notes:
Enhancements:
- Added Process Priority (Real Time, High, Normal, Low, Lowest) for WAN Failover. Configuration Option: Process Priority
- General Optimization.
- CHECKNVRAM is Enabled by Default for the RT-AC86U and GT-AC2900 models on new installations.
- Status Console now shows more descriptions for each WAN interface status.
- Status Console will now passively check for updates every 4 hours while running.
- Status Console will now show WAN Failover status as "Initializing" for start up of the script.
- Added new option to block IPv6 in Failover Mode from traversing Secondary WAN. Configuration Option: Failover Block IPv6

Fixes:
- Corrected issues preventing Failback in v2.0.0.
- Corrected issues with acquiring WAN Interface MAC Addresses.
- Corrected issues with Email Notifications not properly disabling.
- Restart WAN functions will now start interface if already stopped instead of executing restart command.

the cron job for failover is running now, is the beta very different than the current version I'm using? I'm just scared that it will not be stable when a failover should happen 😆
There are several enhancements and fixes in v2.0.1 for v2.0.0, it's not majorly different but you are likely to have better success on that build.

There are several enhancements and fixes in v2.0.1 for v2.0.0, it's not majorly different but you are likely to have better success on that build.
I've put wan failover on dev mode and updated, I got a message saying the update succeeded and on the menu it says version v2.0.1
but on the status it still says I'm using 2.0.0 and out of date, also the status says wan failover is either not running or unresponsive, while I've tried killing the process several times through the menu and running it again

wan failover status 201.png

Last edited:
I've put wan failover on dev mode and updated, I got a message saying the update succeeded and on the menu it says version v2.0.1
but on the status it still says I'm using 2.0.0 and out of date, also the status says wan failover is either not running or unresponsive, while I've tried killing the process several times through the menu and running it again

View attachment 48857
You Ctrl + C escaped the entire menu and restart over?

You Ctrl + C escaped the entire menu and restart over?
ahh why didn't I thought of that, silly me 😆

Ok after killing all tasks and even now rebooting the router, it runs and shows the new version on the status

I am guessing it runs on startup since I when I check the status it seems to be running?

is unresponsive an expected value? I saw it as failover monitoring awhile ago but now it's back to unresponsive

wan failover unresponsive.png

ahh why didn't I thought of that, silly me 😆

Ok after killing all tasks and even now rebooting the router, it runs and shows the new version on the status

I am guessing it runs on startup since I when I check the status it seems to be running?

is unresponsive an expected value? I saw it as failover monitoring awhile ago but now it's back to unresponsive

View attachment 48866
If it sees one or both of the interfaces isn’t updating its ping / packet loss stats it will display that status.

If it sees one or both of the interfaces isn’t updating its ping / packet loss stats it will display that status.
Gotcha I will wait for a failover event to see if it's working as intended, thanks a lot for what you've built

Here are my current settings (LOAD BALANCE as I do not need failover):

load balance.png

And the problem is whenever I try and install the script on latest 388.2_beta1 on my GT-AX6000, all I am getting is this:

/jffs/scripts/wan-failover.sh: line 1: WANDOGTARGET: parameter not set

Tried several reboots and resets but always the same result. Anyone knows what I am doing wrong here? Thank you in advance for any help.

Here are my current settings (LOAD BALANCE as I do not need failover):

View attachment 48889

And the problem is whenever I try and install the script on latest 388.2_beta1 on my GT-AX6000, all I am getting is this:

/jffs/scripts/wan-failover.sh: line 1: WANDOGTARGET: parameter not set

Tried several reboots and resets but always the same result. Anyone knows what I am doing wrong here? Thank you in advance for any help.
This is happening when you run install?

EDIT:
I released a minor patch (v2.0.2) to resolve your issue, no need for beta it is a minor fix and wasn't caught during beta cycle.

Last edited:
This is happening when you run install?

EDIT:
I released a minor patch (v2.0.2) to resolve your issue, no need for beta it is a minor fix and wasn't caught during beta cycle.
Many thanks indeed for the rapid fix. I have now installed as below:

load balance2.png

Is there anything else that I need to do or any other settings to change or is this all that is needed for the script (load balance function) to work? Many thanks again for your excellent work.

Many thanks indeed for the rapid fix. I have now installed as below:

View attachment 48897

Is there anything else that I need to do or any other settings to change or is this all that is needed for the script (load balance function) to work? Many thanks again for your excellent work.
Yes the default settings should work and the failover monitoring has benefits in Load Balance Mode too. It will remove down WAN interfaces in Load Balance if they go down.

Superb. I am looking forward to trying it out as it looks really quite promising. Much appreciated.
Let me know if you have any issues.

Hi, I just had a disconnection event happened today on my WAN0, but the wan failover didn't switch to the second connection, even after a few minutes, I ended up losing connection altogether while the WAN1 the second connection is still alive.
WAN0 Pings to 8.8.8.8 and I am also running the ping on a command window on my PC, the ping returns an RTO, however, wan failover didn't detect it or at least the status didn't change and no failover happened.

How do I view the logs to see what happened and to troubleshoot? I tried operations 11 to capture system log for failover events but that didn't return anything different to option 10.

Thanks in advance

Hi, I just had a disconnection event happened today on my WAN0, but the wan failover didn't switch to the second connection, even after a few minutes, I ended up losing connection altogether while the WAN1 the second connection is still alive.
WAN0 Pings to 8.8.8.8 and I am also running the ping on a command window on my PC, the ping returns an RTO, however, wan failover didn't detect it or at least the status didn't change and no failover happened.

How do I view the logs to see what happened and to troubleshoot? I tried operations 11 to capture system log for failover events but that didn't return anything different to option 10.

Thanks in advance
They are stored in the syslog but if you aren’t forwarding to a syslog server the router is only storing 1024 last logs and dumping the rest. Capture and monitor mode actively monitor the log and not historical logs.

They are stored in the syslog but if you aren’t forwarding to a syslog server the router is only storing 1024 last logs and dumping the rest. Capture and monitor mode actively monitor the log and not historical logs.
I have a usb drive mounted on the router, is it possible to save the logs there?
still didn't know what went wrong and why the wan0 disconnection didn't trigger the failover

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!