What's new

WANFailover Dual WAN Failover ***v2 Release***

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Idealy this would have been my first option but doing so takes the network down for almost 60-120 sec , DW Failover script could do it better, faster switching , if it works properly . Hope it does . If you could fix this
There's actually quite a bit of code that would be required for that to work and it's not something I can guarantee will work as designed but I will look into seeing what I can do, alternatively you could kill the active monitoring and cron job and schedule a cron job to do the switchwan command for you. If the command is executed outside of terminal (tty) it will work without needing a verification prompt FYI.

Qos is disabled for both WAN

View attachment 52812

Here is the debug log : https://pastebin.com/1RuwtF4K

This function is very useful for me to switch between my both ISPs as i am limited to 3.3Tb/Month on both
It looks like your router is fighting the WAN Switch by changing which WAN is Primary back to the value set by the script. Double check the readme and make sure you have the factory failover options disabled as specified. Additionally, I don't see any of the debug logs outputting in your log so make sure when you capture debug logs you set your logging level (Log only messages more urgent than) to Debug under the System Log page on the Web GUI of the router.

***v2.0.7-beta1 Release***
Enhancements:
- Added metric values to IP Routes created for target IPs.
- Added additional debug logging to WAN Switch function.
- Added 386.12 to supported firmware list.
- Minor optimizations to increase performance.

Fixes:
- Minor visual bug when WAN Failover kill command is being executed.
- WAN Failover will go to disabled state now if DNS Query or Failback are enabled under Dual WAN Settings.

Installation:
- Warnings for DNS Query or Failback being enabled will now alert and log during installation

Enhancements:

Fixes:
- WAN Failover will go to disabled state now if DNS Query or Failback are enabled under Dual WAN Settings.

Installation:
- Warnings for DNS Query or Failback being enabled will now alert and log during installation
i would like to update to the beta version , is there a command to replace the existing version or do i need to uninstall the stable release and install this one

i would like to update to the beta version , is there a command to replace the existing version or do i need to uninstall the stable release and install this one
Turn on Dev Mode in the configuration and it will switch you to beta channel for updates.

IS there any manual command I can run to simply allow myself to visit the secondary wan network with the stock asus failover settings?

All I want to be able to do is visit the secondary wan gateway IP to make changes to it directly from within the router network.

Enhancements:

Fixes:

Installation:
I downloaded the latest beta and it is working great other than email notifications. Would you be able to add the /crlf to the CURL command in the next beta?
See this post.

Thanks!

I downloaded the latest beta and it is working great other than email notifications. Would you be able to add the /crlf to the CURL command in the next beta?
See this post.

Thanks!
I am still testing this, may get it in for beta2 on this version.

syslog
It looks like your router is fighting the WAN Switch by changing which WAN is Primary back to the value set by the script. Double check the readme and make sure you have the factory failover options disabled as specified. Additionally, I don't see any of the debug logs outputting in your log so make sure when you capture debug logs you set your logging level (Log only messages more urgent than) to Debug under the System Log page on the Web GUI of the router.
v2.0.7-beta1 : same as early , still fighting between WANs, only reboot worked .

I had debug enabled last time also , double checked it it this time . Please go through the log and let me know , if anything i could do

IS there any manual command I can run to simply allow myself to visit the secondary wan network with the stock asus failover settings?

All I want to be able to do is visit the secondary wan gateway IP to make changes to it directly from within the router network.
quick switch option is there , ie 14 , but need to iron our some issues , hopefully we will be able to do the same in future

syslog

v2.0.7-beta1 : same as early , still fighting between WANs, only reboot worked .

I had debug enabled last time also , double checked it it this time . Please go through the log and let me know , if anything i could do

I see debug logs now but I need to see all of it from start up for WAN Failover, I can confirm I see the router firmware is changing the primary WAN back from the script as if factory failover is enabled. Maybe enable factory failover and then disable it again to make sure it’s not glitched for some reason. Also send me a complete set of logs from start to end.

It requires some NAT Rules and IP routes / rules set up to achieve this, I am looking to incorporate it in WAN Failover completely if possible in a later release but with stock failover it simply does nothing for this.

It requires some NAT Rules and IP routes / rules set up to achieve this, I am looking to incorporate it in WAN Failover completely if possible in a later release but with stock failover it simply does nothing for this.

One thing that I noticed since I updated to beta is, earlier if i had switched WAN from 0 -1 and restarted it would boot up in 1 but now it still boots up in 0 . rest all the same , log attached , did switching multiple times and multiple reboots , hope this helps

And yes i tired enabling factory failover and then disabling , still didn't work , hope everything is there in the logs

One thing that I noticed since I updated to beta is, earlier if i had switched WAN from 0 -1 and restarted it would boot up in 1 but now it still boots up in 0 . rest all the same , log attached , did switching multiple times and multiple reboots , hope this helps

And yes i tired enabling factory failover and then disabling , still didn't work , hope everything is there in the logs

It looks like your router is adding multiple log entries for the same event a lot which is strange, I’d do a health check on it. Also try adding a boot delay timer in WAN Failover configuration, I have the same router as you with same firmware and I use a 90 second delay.

It looks like your router is adding multiple log entries for the same event a lot which is strange, I’d do a health check on it. Also try adding a boot delay timer in WAN Failover configuration, I have the same router as you with same firmware and I use a 90 second delay.

how to do a proper health check ?

***v2.0.7-beta2 Release***
Enhancements:
- Added CRLF argument to email.

Fixes:
- WAN Failover will go to disabled state now if DNS Query or Failback are checked under Dual WAN Settings.

Install:

NOTE: The release notes didn't change much but there were a lot more minor optimization tweaks done in this beta so please test thoroughly

***v2.0.7-beta3 Release***
Enhancements:
- Added CRLF argument to email.
- Added restart option to Status Console.
- Major performance optimization for NVRAM Check function.
- Parent PID is now displayed on Status Console with Dev Mode enabled.

Fixes:
- WAN Failover will go to disabled state now if DNS Query or Failback are checked under Dual WAN Settings.
- Fixed issue causing PID File not to be deleted under /var/run/wan-failover.pid

Install:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!