What's new

dual wan router advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

asiajason

New Around Here
I need to setup a dual wan router and would like advice:

I've researched:

1) Cisco Small Biz RV402 Dual WAN router and
2) Draytek vigor 2910 series and
3) pfsense (just a little bit)...

my requirements are minimal: we have 1.5m adsl connections, and potentially a 3g/4g lte connection [in Hong Kong] (so that would mean the draytek is the choice, right?). Basic wireless is good, but not necessary. Load balancing rather than failover is good...

and I don't like the idea of building a system and messing with pfsense...but I hear it is better with load balancing algorithms...

so... what is the advice for the better router? and how much time will I have to spend with setup? minimal is best!

I think all do adaptive load balancing, right?

Anything I need to consider that I'm not considering?

Thanks

I need to setup a dual wan router and would like advice:

I've researched:

1) Cisco Small Biz RV402 Dual WAN router and
2) Draytek vigor 2910 series and
3) pfsense (just a little bit)...

my requirements are minimal: we have 1.5m adsl connections, and potentially a 3g/4g lte connection [in Hong Kong] (so that would mean the draytek is the choice, right?). Basic wireless is good, but not necessary. Load balancing rather than failover is good...

and I don't like the idea of building a system and messing with pfsense...but I hear it is better with load balancing algorithms...

so... what is the advice for the better router? and how much time will I have to spend with setup? minimal is best!

I think all do adaptive load balancing, right?

Anything I need to consider that I'm not considering?

Thanks

pfSense 1.2.3 has good multi-wan load balancing, but QOS and many packages will not work using multi-wan.

pfSense 2.0 resolves these issues, but not yet, it is at release candidate 3 right now with problems.

So, unless you want just bog simple routing, pfSense won't work for you.

Draytek, with issues, is a better fit. Send up a flare about its use to the pfSense newbie thread, and Dennis Wood will see it, he is Draytek user, and probably give you a better feel for its' ups and downs.