What's new

Dual WAN routing and Portforwarding

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

farid110

New Around Here
Hi

I have an Asus DSL-N66U and a Huawei E8372 4G modem.
My primary connection is an ADSL connection and secondary is a 4G connection.
My 4G connection is my Huawei E8372
My Network Operator Company (assigined/gonna assigin) an Static IP in 2 days (Basically it is not going to be a CGNAT topology)
I want my ESXI server to use 4G connection and the rest to use ADSL connection.

So I have 2 questions and I would be really grateful if I could get some help.

My usage case:
I have an ESXI server and I want to connect to it remotely.
I have an ADSL connection with 16 MbPS bandwidth which is really slow when it comes to upstream connection (Uploading) So I can connect but due to slow connection, using my ESXI is just not practical when I'm using my ADSL connection.

1- They don't offer Fiber connection where I live.
2- I even thought of connecting 4G connection to another nic and access it through that network adapter but I can't even find an ESXI compatible NIC where I live -_- so I only have 1 network adapter and it's motherboard's onboard nic.

So I decided to use 4G connection to tunnel ESXI server and my ADSL for daily usage for other clients

I've successfully configured my own specific routing and it works just fine ....... BUT I have some doubts about it.
This is my configuration:

2022-02-13_21-27-04.png

My ESXI Server (192.168.1.200) can successfully tunnel through my Secondary WAN which is my 4G connection and I can verify it by:
Bash:
wget -qO - icanhazip.com

Other clients can also connect successfully as expected from my PRIMARY WAN
So this is a little bit weird for me, as you can see I've set Primary:Secondary ratio to 9:1 but my other clients always route through Primary WAN which is basically what I want .... BUT shouldn't it be like at least 1 in every 9 packets tunnels from Secondary WAN just the way this configuration states it ?
I even wrote a script to repeatedly get my IP and it ran almost 100 times but still output was my Primary WAN IP address. As I said it works like I want it to work but I just WANT TO LEARN why 9:1 ratio doesn't apply here? or does it work and I'm testing it wrongly ?
I can't set a 9:0 or 1:0 it just doesn't accept 0 as an input.

I've read this thread AC86U: Dual WAN Routing Rules - Trying to set *only* one device to use secondary WAN and @Blazemonkey has offered a way to bypass GUI's limitation of entering 0 as input by executing a command. But I think that maybe this command needs some modification in my use case and I don't know how to modify it properly:
Bash:
iptables -t mangle -R balance "$(iptables -nvL balance --line -t mangle | grep -F "xset 0x90000000" | cut -d' ' -f1)" -m connmark --mark 0x0 -j CONNMARK --set-xmark 0x80000000/0xf0000000

Do I even need to execute this code given that it seems to be working?
If yes, What modification do I need to do in my scenario?

My second question is about Port Forwarding
As I mentioned Huawei E8372 is my 4G uplink. It is going to be assigned with an Static IP in 2 days. So I just thought to configure it beforehand.
My DSL-N66U is assigned 192.168.0.100 as its secondary WAN IP (Which is Huawei E8372 local subnet).

I'm thinking of 2 ways of Port Forwarding:

- Putting DSL-N66U (192.168.0.100) in DMZ inside Huawei E8372
- And later enable port forwarding (192.168.1.200) inside my DSL-N66U
dmz.png

2- Enabling port forwarding for both of the Modems :

- Port forwarding to 192.168.0.100 inside Huawei E8372 with the desired port.
- And again enabling port forwarding for the server (192.168.1.200) inside DSL-N66U

prt.png

So my question is, Will it work and am I getting things correctly ?
If not could you please recommend me better ways of doing it ?

Last edited: